On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

End of the Year DV 2016

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

End of the Year DV 2016

Post by Gowergulch42 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:49 pm

I was in the valley between Dec. 25 and 29th. We did a lot of great stuff, and I'm working on a TR as I write this.

Included in this trip was: a return to a rock art site I call "Spectre Wash" , where it was cold and we found some ice in the wash. From there we visited one of my favorite mines, in the Inyo Mountains. I won't say the name, but I'm sure some of you will recognize it from pictures. Yes it's on public land. From there we did the loop behind Darwin past China Garden Spring (to visit the goldfish pond) and returned to camp.

Next day, we hauled down to Johnson Canyon to do a hike into poorly documented land south of Starvation Canyon to look for something that I didn't find on the trip. We got really close, but the short days meant the sun was threatening to set by 3:15. Lots of beautiful country out there, and ran into a fan of my site out there too, oddly.

Finally was the big event. After 9 years of camping off Lemoigne Canyon Road, I finally hiked to the old man's cabin high in the Cottonwoods. We set off to the cabin and visited a historically significant side canyon along the way filled with many inscriptions. After an incredible day and a great trip, we headed home the following morning.

All my pictures can be seen on Flikr, here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145968792 ... 7086797391
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

1974runner
Jayhawker

Post by 1974runner » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:13 am

Great photos! thanks for sharing

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:19 pm

So you went into that side canyon on the way back from Lemoigne's cabin. Did you know about it from other sources, or from my comment? I discovered it only by accident, but perhaps Digonnet had given a hint?

Do you think that Lemoigne graffit is real? I did.

Nice pix too! Looks like some snow in the mountains. Of course it may not last....

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Your images are fun to view and I like the ones

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:17 pm

showing such fine detail. My favorite of the whole batch was the long shadows at the end of the day.

Thanks for taking the time to post your images!
Life begins in Death Valley

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:16 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:So you went into that side canyon on the way back from Lemoigne's cabin. Did you know about it from other sources, or from my comment? I discovered it only by accident, but perhaps Digonnet had given a hint?

Do you think that Lemoigne graffit is real? I did.

Nice pix too! Looks like some snow in the mountains. Of course it may not last....
We went on the way uphill, so as not to risk having too little daylight on the way down. I first learned of interesting rocks in that canyon from you, interestingly, though it was a few years ago. I learned of the graffiti elsewhere, but figured out where it was. I absolutely believe those inscriptions are real; it takes more than a few years to form those mud drips.
Last edited by Gowergulch42 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:30 pm

Ah, that was smart (going in that way). I sort of stumbled across it on the way out. I had seen the path above the canyon on the way in and where there's mines and a possible route somewhere, a path usually means miners' route to me. Clearly it cuts off a canyon meander so I would agree that it is an old route with original inscriptions. I mean, who the heck goes out there other than strange folks like us :)

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

"other than strange folks like us"

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:05 pm

Well, keep up with that "stange folks" schtick because I love the array of imagination, curiosity, adventure and "far out" trip reports I find here.
Life begins in Death Valley

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks for sharing the photos and looking forward to the accompanying trip report.

I've enjoyed my visits to Johnson Canyon and plan on spending more time round the Lemoigne area in March / April, so interested in hearing more about your trip. Cheers!

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Enjoyed the inscriptions in the stone. Neat stuff. The only caucasian stone inscriptions I've seen are the 1855 carvings in Emigrant canyon.

There was a trail often mentioned in early Owens Valley press that ran over the Inyo Range, across the Nelson Range, then down into Death Valley in the vicinity of LeMoigne's camp (with branches to acess Keeler and Lone Pine). So the suggestion in another post that it was a miner's trail is likely correct.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

teotwaki
Jayhawker

Post by teotwaki » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Great photos!
best regards,

Jim
My Adventures: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Historic Inscriptions in DV

Post by Candace_66 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:36 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:Ah, that was smart (going in that way). I sort of stumbled across it on the way out. I had seen the path above the canyon on the way in and where there's mines and a possible route somewhere, a path usually means miners' route to me. Clearly it cuts off a canyon meander so I would agree that it is an old route with original inscriptions. I mean, who the heck goes out there other than strange folks like us :)
Speaking of historic inscriptions...ever since I saw this I've wondered who these two people were!

I was given an email address for someone at the Park who supposedly was a good contact for this sort of thing, and I sent them the pic, but never got a response. :???:

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Is that at the Emigrant Cyn petros, or elsewhere? I do recall some modern names there, including at least one inscription in a nice looking script!

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:56 am

Amazing geology. I love those "S" curved rock strata.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Only SIX MONTHS late, but here's the first trip report from this trip! I've been pursuing other projects lately (to be shared eventually) so my website has rather fallen on the back burner. Enjoy!!

http://dvexplore.blogspot.com/2017/06/e ... -side.html

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Post by wbdeford » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Nice! I envy you guys who live close enough to just drive there for a long weekend. I'd love to do a winter trip again--it's those short days that keep me away.