On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Notice: There were some email issues discovered. If you registered but have not received your registration email and/or you attempted to change your password, please use the 'Contact Us' link here or at the bottom of every page and supply us with your details.

Q: where can I find large "mud cracks"?

Discuss and share your favorite photos, techniques, cameras, or anything else related to photography
harryshin
Jayhawker

Q: where can I find large "mud cracks"?

Post by harryshin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:50 am

Hi:
1. I've been to DV several times, but I've never been able to figure out / find where those large mud cracks are. When I've asked specific photographers on Instagram all I've gotten were vague suggestions such as... referring to Google Earth (really helpful) or that it's a "secret".

2. I'm not a pro, I'm not going to cut into someone's business ; I just want to enjoy the beauty of the place.

Any tips appreciated in advance. Thanks. Harry

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Re: Q: where can I find large "mud cracks"?

Post by TacoLand » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:24 am

I've seen a lot of mud, and I've seen a lot of cracks, but not sure that I've seen your "mud cracks." Do you have a reference photo or link by any chance?

harryshin
Jayhawker

sample images

Post by harryshin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:37 am

1. Thanks for the quick reply.

2. Here's a link for a sample image:

http://www.death-valley.net/forum/viewt ... 1092#71092

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/35606653277869025/

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Mud is not what it is cracked up to be. :cool:

The sample images run the gammut of places and things. Hard to determine what you are looking for and to give advice. So therefore, vague in, vague out. Cracked mis somewhere in Death Valley. Most any playa will do. Since it is a wet winter, cracked mud will be filled in until it gets dry and cracks itself up ... ;-)
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:42 pm

That photo was taken in the "Panamint Playa" per the photographer. Looks to be a hot spot for photographers -- http://www.navinsarmaphotography.com/bl ... ama-hills/

This specific area should be off of Panamint Valley Road, just south of 190. Hope that helps. Half the fun of the desert is figuring it out from there.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:37 am

Also popular are the salt polygons out on the Badwater flat. From the Badwater parking lot, the best salt shapes are in any direction people aren't going. If you see an area where people aren't (farther out is better) then thryre likely to be in good shape.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

netllama
Grubstaker

Post by netllama » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Prolly should note that this time of year is not when you'll find "mud cracks". You need a long period of time without any rain, and high heat. Probably May at the absolute earliest, and more likely July or August.

pluton
Jayhawker

Post by pluton » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:36 pm

You may also find cracked mud fields where the Armagosa River crosses Harry Wade Road, south end of the park. As has been noted, the mud has to dry out to create the cracks.