On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Another Titus Canyon Question

Death Valley related discussion
kkrtrek
Jayhawker

Another Titus Canyon Question

Post by kkrtrek » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:19 pm

With Titus Canyon opening up today (or yesterday?), the wife and I have decided to bring our car down if we can do Titus Canyon with it.

In terms of my experience, although not an off-roader, I have driven rented jeeps to Marble Canyon, the Racetrack, Titus, and various other places in DV (and Moab, for that matter). I am competent and somewhat experienced, though that's as far as I'll go.

What I would like feedback on is whether I should have any trouble taking my RAV-4 down Titus. Although Toyota calls it 4-wheel drive, I believe it is really all-wheel drive, with power going to all wheels only when the system detects slippage. Clearance is 7.5 inches. Park service defines a "high-clearance vehicle" as having 8 inches. I know I said I drove Titus previously, but that was in a Jeep and quite a few years ago, so I don't recall the road very well.

Should I have any problems in my RAV? TIA.

JesPortland
Breyfogler

Post by JesPortland » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:22 am

Fours years ago my sister and mother joined us in DV, driving down in her '10 Rav. Rather then taking our Tundra TRD, we used her Rav for Titus. It was actually the perfect vehicle with its shorter wheelbase. The full size spare was good to have. If your rav is newer it won't have a full size spare.

Titus is really easy, the first approach from Nevada side washboarded gravel. The only section that is of any concern is the drive down the tight, rocky switchbacks down into the canyon. From Leadfield on it's a no brainer, just gravel. Last March my wife let me out at Leadfield and I biked the rest of the way, crashing at the end. Real fun.

We also have a '08 Rav Sport, which I wouldn't take there due to its super low profile tires.

Our Rav the 4WD is as you described but at speeds under 25 mph you can lock it into full time 4WD which we have done many times with this crazy winter weather this year.
Actually AWD is like a Subaru, where all four wheels have full power to them all the time.

matmiss
Breyfogler

Post by matmiss » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:01 am

IT should be OK for your vehicle as it was just graded - which sometimes turns up sharp rocks. Get a "real" spare tire if you don't already have one - you won't make it out with a donut tire, should anything happen!! Other than that, enjoy the canyon. As the previous person said, the only scary part is going down into the canyon from Red Pass - switchbacks and bedrock rocks - the rest is easy and delightful!! Get a spare tire!!!!
If you chicken out, Farabee's rental jeeps are wonderful vehicles, and they're near the FC gas station now, not at the Inn.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:28 am

The last time I went through Titus, which admittedly was a few years ago, and most times prior to that, there was a nasty "pothole"/small dropoff in the narrows right around a blind turn when you go to the left around a big rock in the middle of the wash. If I recall correctly, it's a about halfway through the narrows. I think it might be where there's a dryfall under the gravel and that's why it kept appearing year after year. I'm not sure if it's been an issue in more recent years, but I thought I should mention it, because if it is still there then you'd need to take it slowly in your RAV, as I'm assuming your RAV doesn't have a skid plate.
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

JesPortland
Breyfogler

Post by JesPortland » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:31 am

It's amazing to see what people drive with. Last March, with the super bloom, there were more "uninformed" people than normal. People in rental sedans standing up through the sun roof, smoking cigarettes and going like bats out of hell!

johnh
Jayhawker

Post by johnh » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:14 pm

We drove Titus on Saturday. It is freshly graded (the graders were still parked at the exit!) and as good as it gets. The passes have plenty of rocks and would need to be driven carefully with regular tires. Personally I'd be nervous about doing any trails with such tires, but plenty of people do. We saw several 2WD vehicles with street tires.

There is some moderately deep gravel at the canyon entrance - we watched some dirt bikes slipping about on it. But you should be OK.