Corkscrew Canyon Cavern

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Corkscrew Canyon Cavern

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Is it a cavern, is it a cave, is it a mine? Enter here to decide for yourself.

Two years ago while enjoying a stroll around the upper east side of Corkscrew Canyon, off to the southwest ridge I noticed a small dark eyelet of an opening.
Not carrying any binoculars, I zoomed in with my Canon Powershot for a closer look. Sure enough, appeared to be a naturally occurring cavern with the only mining activity located well below the opening.

I decided right then to explore that curiosity in the near future. About a year ago an attempt to solve the mystery ended up with me accidentally discovering what I labeled as "The Pinhole Mine" about a quarter of a mile due west. Here's the video of that detour.

https://youtu.be/ESgbVknvhxk

I missed my original goal, the cavern because I learned it is not visible from the canyon floor. The small opening I did discover from the canyon floor ended up being "The Pinhole." I was too tired after that "mountain goat two-step" to search for the mysterious cavern.

So finally the third week in March this year, I solved the mystery. Still, not able to see the cavern from the canyon floor but knowing its approximate location on the south slope I had to scramble about halfway up the north slope in order to get a bearing. Yes, nailed it. So scooted back down and then with finger and toe holds was barely able to gain purchase on the coveted cavern entrance.

I do not recommend you trying to replicate the Pinhole or the Cavern because the inclines are at the "angle of repose*", very steep and treacherous. Only fools and idiots like me are allowed in there.

https://youtu.be/JBFndskZtbU

*The angle of repose, or critical angle of repose, of a granular material is the steepest angle of descent or dip relative to the horizontal plane to which a material can be piled without slumping. At this angle, the material on the slope face is on the verge of sliding. The angle of repose can range from 0° to 90°.
Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Sorry, the second video won't play.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Thanks MojaveGeek for noticing - link now works

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:12 pm

here. I forgot to turn the video from private to public.
https://youtu.be/JBFndskZtbU
Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Better. Looks like it was a bit gnarly getting up into there.

EmeryMass
Jayhawker

Post by EmeryMass » Wed May 31, 2017 10:21 pm

I'd love to go explore in there.