On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

mahogany flat August camping

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
wbdeford
Grubstaker

Re: Good catch, Rogers it is!

Post by wbdeford » Tue May 02, 2017 4:53 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
That would be Rogers.
I think Bennett is the smaller nob between Rogers and Telescope?
Only slightly. Rogers is listed as 9994 and Bennett as 9980. You make a backward S around them....around the east side of Rogers, then around the west side of Bennett after you pass Arcane Meadow. Driving up Wildrose road, Rogers and Bennett look like twins.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue May 02, 2017 5:27 pm

From Rogers you can also just head down the open ridge to the east. More scenic than the road. This ridge drops right into Mahogany flat. If you don't want to deal with the forest (it's pretty open for travel though) you can pick up the road where it touches the ridge at a sharp curve at around 9000 feet.

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Post by wbdeford » Tue May 02, 2017 5:31 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:From Rogers you can also just head down the open ridge to the east. More scenic than the road. This ridge drops right into Mahogany flat. If you don't want to deal with the forest (it's pretty open for travel though) you can pick up the road where it touches the ridge at a sharp curve at around 9000 feet.
Great idea! I thought about that when I came down from Rogers last year, but wasn't sure how thick the forest would be, so I took the road.

Hillbasher
Jayhawker

Post by Hillbasher » Tue May 23, 2017 4:59 pm

I have spent the night on top of Telescope 3 times (twice on the actual summit and once just a few hundred feet below the top). Of all the times up there, I only took the "road" back down to Mahogany Flats once. Remember it being long and boring, and am not sure it is shorter than the trail as one of the friends I was with took the trail down and was back at the car way before we were. Just saying. LOL

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Post by wbdeford » Wed May 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Hillbasher wrote:I have spent the night on top of Telescope 3 times (twice on the actual summit and once just a few hundred feet below the top). Of all the times up there, I only took the "road" back down to Mahogany Flats once. Remember it being long and boring, and am not sure it is shorter than the trail as one of the friends I was with took the trail down and was back at the car way before we were. Just saying. LOL
Yes, the road is long and generally boring, but there is a view of the kilns all the way up to Wildrose along the way. And if your feet are tired from long hiking, the smoothness of the road can be nice. But, I too have only done the road once, vs several times taking the trail.