FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register 
 Profile  |  Messages  |  Log in 
some of the worst people on earth have visited the racetrack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death-Valley.net Forum Index -> Death Valley Backcountry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacknv7
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:09 pm 
Post subject:

It's very easy to get to the playa at Black Rock. A two hour drive north of Reno on paved roads takes you to Gerlach and the roads out to the playa are just beyond.

Maybe they could get the Black Rock City MOOP Army to restore the Racetrack...

http://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/burning-man/2016/10/07/how-burning-mans-moop-army-erases-black-rock-city/91555010/[url]
teddyruxton
Jayhawker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:20 pm 
Post subject: some of the worst people on earth have visited the race trac

I'll be the bad guy here. The park is getting trashed worse and worse all the time because some contributors on here are constantly telling the whole world where everything is and how to get to it. Yes, I know it belongs to everyone, but let people who really appreciate the park and its treasures enjoy finding it for themselves. I spent most of my 70 + years in Colorado. I told people on several occasions about a particularily nice place, only to find it trashed the next time I went there. I finally concluded that it was my fault. I no longer tell anyone about anyplace at all. I volunteered in DV for many years and worked extreme remote places, but if asked, I would forget where the good ones are. Just telling it like I see it. Stone me if you want to. I still frequent the Valley and manage to avoid the people and the vandalism.
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:24 pm 
Post subject: Re: some of the worst people on earth have visited the race

teddyruxton wrote:
I'll be the bad guy here. The park is getting trashed worse and worse all the time because some contributors on here are constantly telling the whole world where everything is and how to get to it. Yes, I know it belongs to everyone, but let people who really appreciate the park and its treasures enjoy finding it for themselves. I spent most of my 70 + years in Colorado. I told people on several occasions about a particularily nice place, only to find it trashed the next time I went there. I finally concluded that it was my fault. I no longer tell anyone about anyplace at all. I volunteered in DV for many years and worked extreme remote places, but if asked, I would forget where the good ones are. Just telling it like I see it. Stone me if you want to. I still frequent the Valley and manage to avoid the people and the vandalism.

Not sure how this relates to the Racetrack? It is a very well publicized place and has been famous (and heavily-visited) for decades.

Can you provide a specific, verifiable example of a thing/place in DVNP that was "secret" until it was mentioned here, then damaged after that mention? I've been to obscure sites that have been discussed here, and did not find them trashed. I can name sites that were discussed here then "cleaned up" by the NPS...

BTW, you say you spent a lot of time in Colorado. Have you read the "In Defense of Mountaineering Guidebooks" appendix in one of Gerry Roach's guidebooks? What do you think about his argument?
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:27 pm 
Post subject:

I was out at Saratoga Springs this past Sunday, and some idiots drove in the mud flats out there not long ago too. Massive tire tracks all over the place. I'm not even sure that I can fathom the appeal of doing such a thing down there, as its not that large of a space where you can drive fast.
gedstrom
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:38 pm 
Post subject:

Have any new tire marks or other vandalism been seen on the Racetrack recently?
Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:04 pm 
Post subject:

There were some victory Donuts by the Grandstand that were done ON CHRISTMAS DAY. They're still there, but not terribly obnoxious and the tracks from when this was first posted are essentially almost gone.
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:24 pm 
Post subject:

Funding to prevent vandalism and clean it up is a big problem right now. And that doesn't even include routine and emergency maintenance. Here is an article that discusses that issue.

https://www.kcet.org/redefine/closed-for-repairs-national-parks-need-maintenance-funding-and-soon
Grzldvt
Jayhawker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:41 pm 
Post subject: Re: some of the worst people on earth have visited the race

teddyruxton wrote:

No stones here and agree with you. I have backpacked every trail in Yosemite, and never give away the awesome places I have discovered off trail or in an obscure place.
So while I have been guilty of figuring out some secret places based on pictures on this site, or some obscure information that was posted. My pictures are not for public consumption and my current camera does not Geotag.
Do I enjoy seeing and reading about obscure places.... you bet, but I know there is a fine line sharing with those that truly care versus the rubes that want to trash some place and respect those that make mention but don't give specific details.
kurt765
Jayhawker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

I went back to see how the wet winter affected the car tracks.

http://blog.kurtlawson.com/?p=1581

They are very much still there for the most part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death-Valley.net Forum Index -> Death Valley Backcountry All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: