On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Changes afoot in DV Junction, Furnace Creek (pics)

Death Valley related discussion
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am

There is a spring/well on that little patch of the reservation. Which is why I wasn't completely surprised to see that facility go in there. But yes, good question whether the water demands will outstrip the supply.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:59 am

Interesting photos and intel. I'm personally not happy about the name change from Furnace Creek to The Oasis. Furnace Creek is what it has been for a very long time and is quite honest about the environment. The Oasis sounds far too tame. Great to see the locomotive restored.

In regards to the grow facility I'm concerned about the water use involved. I just finished reading "Death Valley National Park: A History" by Hal Rothman and it discusses water rights in the area and what the park had to do to attain certain areas like Cow Creek and regional farming potentially affecting the environment. The pup fish at Devils Hole was/is a priority for the park. Great read for those of you who haven't read it.