FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register 
 Profile  |  Messages  |  Log in 
September 20-26th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death-Valley.net Forum Index -> Upcoming Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aedwards27
Breyfogler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 am 
Post subject: September 20-26th

Well, it has been six months, so that means only one thing; it is time to return to Death Valley!

I'll be joined by someone else on this trip, so none of the really crazy hikes (15+ miles) will be taking place.

Due to the fact that temperatures will still be pretty high, we'll be staying indoors but cooking our own food etc.

We get into Hell Vegas on the 20th in the afternoon and should be in DV by 6:30.

Major points to be covered are as follows:

1. Following a trail from near Emigrant even further to see what else is out there

2. Paleo-Mesa and Navel Spring

3. A nice trail system connected to a large spring off 190 (visible on Google Earth)

4. Exploring another major trail taking off from Texas Spring

5. Finally checking out the Furnace slots

6. An obsidian cast-off site I stumbled upon in 2015 (which I had to abandon due to losing daylight)
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:33 am 
Post subject:

On our March trip after we'd failed to get up to Borax BM via the 20 Mule Team slot, we checked out Navel and Paleo Mesa. The goal had been to get fairly far up the mesa, but the heat was killer so we spent a bunch of time chilling in the shade at Navel Spring and then went up. We found trails heading NW near the entrance to the spring to gain the ridge, and then turned NE and followed a good trail along the ridge for a ways. There was some evidence of old hunting blinds. Tons of sheep trails but the trail along the ridge, and some side trails dropping to the N side, looked partially human. Zero shade up there so get an early start.

Which Emigrant trail? There is one you can clear see in the sat images that heads from 190 over to the mouth of Lemoigne, IIRC. I'm interested in trying it but it was just too hot this year.
Aedwards27
Breyfogler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 am 
Post subject:

MojaveGeek wrote:
On our March trip after we'd failed to get up to Borax BM via the 20 Mule Team slot, we checked out Navel and Paleo Mesa. The goal had been to get fairly far up the mesa, but the heat was killer so we spent a bunch of time chilling in the shade at Navel Spring and then went up. We found trails heading NW near the entrance to the spring to gain the ridge, and then turned NE and followed a good trail along the ridge for a ways. There was some evidence of old hunting blinds. Tons of sheep trails but the trail along the ridge, and some side trails dropping to the N side, looked partially human. Zero shade up there so get an early start.

Which Emigrant trail? There is one you can clear see in the sat images that heads from 190 over to the mouth of Lemoigne, IIRC. I'm interested in trying it but it was just too hot this year.

That is the plan, we plan on getting to navel by 7 AM and being up on the mesa by 8!

I'll drop you a PM about the trail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death-Valley.net Forum Index -> Upcoming Trips All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: