FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register 
 Profile  |  Messages  |  Log in 
anyone been up Echo Canyon lately?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death-Valley.net Forum Index -> Death Valley Backcountry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netllama
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:17 pm 
Post subject: anyone been up Echo Canyon lately?

Anyone been up Echo Canyon recently? I'm thinking of heading out towards Inyo Mine camp next month. Wondering about the road conditions.

thanks!
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:31 pm 
Post subject: June 23,2016 drove down Echo Canyon

and the road was in much better shape than I expected. I thought there would be wash outs and debris from the prior flooding, but no sign of damage.

Any SUV could handle the road all the way to Inyo Mine. Beyond that the road gets technical fast.

I got a thrill out of driving the old abandoned rail grade from Rhyolite past Big Dune and then veering off to the west, up over the Funeral Mountain Ridge and then dropping down into Echo. This took several hours and I had to exit the rail grade several times because I got tired of bouncing over the old ties still laying across the grade.

One must have a solid jeep to ascend the Funeral Ridge and drop into Echo. There is one dry fall that I'd only dare to descend, no way could I have made it up that dry fall w/o a winch.

I do not actually enjoy four wheeling over technical trails, to slow, nerve racking and noisy so I won't be driving this route up and over and then down into Echo again. However the drive up Echo to Inyo Mine is totally delightful.
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:06 pm 
Post subject:

It is reported to have wash-out damage as of a month ago or so and was closed briefly. Of course what that actually means is anyone's guess, but just don't take the Outback up it quite yet.
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:44 am 
Post subject:

Gowergulch42 wrote:
It is reported to have wash-out damage as of a month ago or so and was closed briefly. Of course what that actually means is anyone's guess, but just don't take the Outback up it quite yet.

Actually, that's exactly what I was planning (taking the Outback). Its quite capable most of the time, although it can't handle deep sand or huge rocks.
netllama
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:45 am 
Post subject: Re: June 23,2016 drove down Echo Canyon

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
and the road was in much better shape than I expected. I thought there would be wash outs and debris from the prior flooding, but no sign of damage.

Any SUV could handle the road all the way to Inyo Mine. Beyond that the road gets technical fast.

I got a thrill out of driving the old abandoned rail grade from Rhyolite past Big Dune and then veering off to the west, up over the Funeral Mountain Ridge and then dropping down into Echo. This took several hours and I had to exit the rail grade several times because I got tired of bouncing over the old ties still laying across the grade.

One must have a solid jeep to ascend the Funeral Ridge and drop into Echo. There is one dry fall that I'd only dare to descend, no way could I have made it up that dry fall w/o a winch.

I do not actually enjoy four wheeling over technical trails, to slow, nerve racking and noisy so I won't be driving this route up and over and then down into Echo again. However the drive up Echo to Inyo Mine is totally delightful.

Thanks for the details. I had no intention of going past Inyo Mine, as I've read numerous reports about how the road is challenging under the best of conditions. When were you last out there?
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:43 am 
Post subject: June 23,2016 drove down Echo Canyon

June 23,2016 drove down Echo Canyon
Jayhawker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:22 pm 
Post subject: Echo Canyon Campsite

Do any of you gentlemen know of any campsites in the canyon? How is the Inyo mine for a night of camping?
Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:36 am 
Post subject:

You can be ticketed for camping at Inyo Mine, but people seem to do it anyway. There are spots in the wider parts of the canyon, just before the turnoff for Inyo and the road to it.
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:50 pm 
Post subject: Re: June 23,2016 drove down Echo Canyon

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
...no way could I have made it up that dry fall w/o a winch.

I had to be winched up that in my modded Xterra a few years ago! Laughing
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:31 pm 
Post subject:

And to close the loop, I made it up here this past weekend (with my Outback). The hardest part wast the exposed bedrock section about 2 miles in, but even that wasn't too bad. Lots of loose rocks & gravel the
entire way, but definitely nothing that would have required 4 wheel drive.

Inyo Camp was nice. Definitely one of the best remaining ghost town sites that I've been to in the entire park. The canyon narrows were quite impressive, and I thought that they rivalled Titus Canyon in a number
of spots.

During the day we saw 4 other vehicles at different places along the road. I camped in the narrows 1 night. Around 7PM (after dark), some crazy convoy of 5 huge lifted trucks came speeding (like going maybe 50MPH)
out of the canyon with enough Hella lighting to be visible from outer space. Scared the crap out of us, as everyone else was driving at a sane speed without lynch mob lighting. Other than that, it was peaceful the
entire night.

A few photos:

Inyo Mine Camp

Eye of the Needle

Narrows
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:44 pm 
Post subject: Echo report - thanks

netllama, thanks for the trip report and those excellent images. You captured some eye candy texture on those shots.

I've only been in Echo twice and your report and images brings back the fond memories. Thanks again.
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:27 pm 
Post subject:

Nice pix!

Don't know if you did this, but a very nice easy hike is to follow the old railroad grade past the road closure some easy miles to an amazing escarpment looking over the Amargosa Valley. Apparently there used to be a cable works there.
netllama
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:35 pm 
Post subject:

MojaveGeek wrote:
Nice pix!

Don't know if you did this, but a very nice easy hike is to follow the old railroad grade past the road closure some easy miles to an amazing escarpment looking over the Amargosa Valley. Apparently there used to be a cable works there.

I read about it, but alas, i didn't get a chance to do it. Some other time, i hope.
DavidW
Jayhawker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:09 pm 
Post subject:

Did the road past into mine and up the dry falls couple years ago. I had a Tacoma 4x4 and used the locking rear differential to get up with no problem. My friend in his '99 Cherokee didn't have locking rear differential and took awhile to get up it after stacking rocks in the right places. Fun little road, but it's been a few years.
D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:40 am 
Post subject:

I'll have to try it this winter in my Tacoma TRD and see if my buddy in his stock '99 Cherokee can do it also. I've walked up the east side and have only been up the west side to the point of the trail down to Schwab townsite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death-Valley.net Forum Index -> Death Valley Backcountry All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: