FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register 
 Profile  |  Messages  |  Log in 
Oasis Replacing Furnace Creek - images of remodel Sept 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death-Valley.net Forum Index -> Death Valley Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:09 am 
Post subject: Oasis Replacing Furnace Creek - images of remodel Sept 2017

The Oasis At Death Valley is replacing Furnace Creek Resort and The Inn at Furnace Creek is being upgraded. Here's a peek at what was going on September 2017.

The tennis courts are gone at The Inn and replaced with many new palm trees. Across from the Inn where the old laundry burned down will be a reception like plaza for relaxation and special events. Not sure if Larabee Jeep Rentals will work out of the old gas station area?

The Corkscew is still serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. The pool at the Ranch is untouched so far.

https://youtu.be/J13YfY4-r5M
Breyfogler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 am 
Post subject:

As always, thanks for the video, always fun. You take a lot of time doing this. I'll be down the week before 49er's encampment. Will be interested in how I react to the changes! Like the current western/pioneer theme. Don't know how the new Spanish theme works in. I don't know if there is a history of Spanish influence in the area. Perhaps others will know.
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:28 am 
Post subject: Timely questions about remodel. Encampment feedback?

JesPortland wrote:
I'll be down the week before 49er's encampment. Will be interested in how I react to the changes! Like the current western/pioneer theme. Don't know how the new Spanish theme works in. I don't know if there is a history of Spanish influence in the area.

Good questions and I didn't take the time to discuss them with any Xanterra management types or NPS staff. I hope that someone will and report back here.

I may participate in the "encampment" in the future when I can no longer hobble about the peaks, valleys, and canyons of the park. Currently, I can't bear to sit down for more than a few moments without the wanderlust taking over and heading out and about for more adventures.

Can anyone here comment on their experiences at the encampment?
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:03 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the video. I'll be interested to see how it all looks when I'm back out there in late fall.

Any updates on the new facility at Death Valley Junction? Wink
Breyfogler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:43 pm 
Post subject: FYI for 49ers

Xanterra says the Ranch pool is open and they will be selling pool passes for those camping in Park Service campgrounds. The only stipulation is that it is very important they cannot drive their RVs over because of a lack of space and the new entrances etc. Cost: $5.00.

Info from the Park Service and those people planning to camp.

Death Valley National Park's NPS campgrounds:
Furnace Creek Campground - OPEN
Stovepipe Wells Campground - OPEN
Sunset Campground - Only open noon Friday, November 3 until noon on Monday, November 13. Otherwise, CLOSED.
Texas Springs Campground - CLOSED
Mesquite Springs Campground - CLOSED, storm damage

Death Valley normally is able to open all the campgrounds in mid-October. However, a very sudden change in hiring regulations is holding up the arrival of our winter seasonal employees. The park cannot provide full services until we are fully staffed. The most critical temporary positions that are delayed indefinitely are: custodians, park ranger/interpreters, and visitor use assistants.
JesPortland
Breyfogler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:33 pm 
Post subject:

Wow, the campgrounds, not sure when they will open. Just saw that change at the park website. I'm coming back down at the end of the month. I didn't reserve at FC with trailer for once because I wanted to get away from generators so it had appeared not to be busy and would take chance at Texas Springs where I want to be. But now everything is almost booked at FC.

I plan to arrive in just over two weeks. I hope this changes!

Guess if Texas is still closed I'll try to stay at Stovepipe and get two sites for room, or maybe some back county roads like vey Panamint Dunes. The R Pod 179 Hood River Edition can go pretty much everywhere.

Well, never mind, I didn't check enough. Still available. Will have to reserve just in case Texas is not open.
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:18 am 
Post subject: Cannabis Farm - DV Junction

Candace_66 wrote:
Any updates on the new facility at Death Valley Junction? Wink

On my way home the first week of September, I did stop at "the new facility" and actually spoke with the female security guard while I took a night time image of the cannabis cultivator aka hemp house.

I requested a tour and she said. "That is currently not possible," I asked her about production and if I remember correctly she alluded to starting, this spring.

I asked if the facility was privately owned by the tribe and she confirmed this. She was friendly but too specific on details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death-Valley.net Forum Index -> Death Valley Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: