On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

former site of Georges cabin / Last Chance range

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
desertdryad
Breyfogler

former site of Georges cabin / Last Chance range

Post by desertdryad » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:02 am

Hi folks -

Has anyone been up the road that used to lead to George's cabin - before it burned down - up in the Last Chance range? I was wondering how accessible that road still was, or even if it was. Thanks....

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:15 am

Is this the (former) cabin by Last Chance Spring, or a different one?

desertdryad
Breyfogler

Post by desertdryad » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:14 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:Is this the (former) cabin by Last Chance Spring, or a different one?
Precisely that one; yes. It's a nice high (==cool) spot, and the few times I've stayed in the former cabin, I'd meant to hike up Last Chance Mountain from the cabin site, but I never did. I haven't been up that a ways from Crankshaft Crossing in YEARS.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:55 am

Yes that is a beautiful spot with plenty of water. I have not been there since it burned. I slept there with my daughter after walking in the last part of the road - we had a rental sedan for vehicle. At dusk it started raining so we built a fire and it was quite a cheery scene. The goal was the peak the next day and I felt good that the sound of the rain on the metal roof stopped some time at night. Upon waking up though, we realized that it was quiet because the rain had turned to snow, and with a couple of inches on the ground already at that altitude, the peak was not going to be our target for the day. So we bailed and hung out around Eureka Dunes for a while.

The road is still quite clear on the sat images but that doesn't say anything about driving it, which I imagine is your intent? Probably sees very little traffic any more with the cabin gone.

Thanks for giving me a name for that memorable cabin! It was really a nice one, we even had a kerosene lantern for light that night.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:12 pm

The March/April issue of the Desert Sage, the pub of the Desert Peaks Section of the Sierra Club, mentions that the site of the former cabin remains the trailhead for their listed route to Last Chance Peak. They mention that the road deteriorates badly after that and so give the coords of the cabin site so people know where to park. That suggests 2WD HC and still accessible, but my memory was there was no way in hell I'd be driving my 2WD sedan up that road.

desertdryad
Breyfogler

Post by desertdryad » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:31 am

Hi Mojave - As I recall, it was in Digonnet's book that I saw it referred to as George's cabin. I forget the story behind that, though. I first went up there back in.. 2002?, for the first time, after a very special person told me about the spot. I remember I SURE did not like the large alluvial deposits that tipped one toward the outer edge of a stiff drop, just before getting to the cabin site, so I'd wondered if that spot had got more pronounced/eroded. I can't recall well enough how 'campable' the area is before that particular stretch. I nowadays drive a 4wd XTerra; a step down from my ol' trusty Tacoma 4wd, but the newer baby is fairly capable :)

DavidW
Jayhawker

Post by DavidW » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:27 pm

We might be heading up there on our next trip on the weekend of November 10th 2017. If we do, I'll post a report here.

Wingman
Jayhawker

Post by Wingman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:05 pm

The last stretch of road was getting a bit iffy for large vehicles the last time I was up there a couple of years ago, due to gravel and debris washig down the hill onto the old road. You are pretty off camber for a few yards. It was quite doable but we felt better with one of us outside the vehicle watching the downhill tires. This was in a full size Ram pickup -- anything smaller would have been better.