On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

KEANE WONDER MINE IS REOPENING

Death Valley related discussion
Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

KEANE WONDER MINE IS REOPENING

Post by Gowergulch42 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 am

Fantastic news from the park Facebook page:

After nine long long years, we (including me, who's never been) will all be able to visit this place of fantastic historical value starting November 7th!!!!

They're doing a big grand opening party and its shaping up to be quite the event!
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

JesPortland
Breyfogler

Post by JesPortland » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:47 am

Thanks for that. I found it on the road conditions page. Strange it wasn't on the main page.

https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRoadConditions

As I will be down this Friday for a week I will miss that but will be back in March with wife to see it then. haven't been since the early seventies.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:20 am

Great news. Never been there.

ski3pin
Jayhawker

Post by ski3pin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:27 pm

We visited Keane Wonder a couple of time shortly before the closure. We are looking forward to visiting again now that the project is complete. Thank you for posting the news!
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Finally get to take the "wonder" out of the mine

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:08 pm

by actually exploring it. Can't wait! Thanks for the tip.
Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Besides the main mine complex and the stunning tramway with awesome views from the tramway road, there's lots of other cool stuff in the area, much of it mining related, that's all been closed off for the duration of this project. Hopefully that was just closed because the NPS felt that it was too hard to close off just the Keane, and it will all be open again.

CanyonmanClark
Jayhawker

Post by CanyonmanClark » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:35 am

MojaveGeek wrote:Besides the main mine complex and the stunning tramway with awesome views from the tramway road, there's lots of other cool stuff in the area, much of it mining related, that's all been closed off for the duration of this project. Hopefully that was just closed because the NPS felt that it was too hard to close off just the Keane, and it will all be open again.
The whole area was closed due to high readings of mercury and other toxins in the tailings. I was told that the entire area will be open. Yeah!!!

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:50 pm

CanyonmanClark wrote: The whole area was closed due to high readings of mercury and other toxins in the tailings. I was told that the entire area will be open. Yeah!!!
I've heard several reasons for the closure over the years. Seemed like they just wanted people out and for the place to be forgotten. Glad it will be available to enjoy again.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:06 pm

ETAV8R wrote:
CanyonmanClark wrote: The whole area was closed due to high readings of mercury and other toxins in the tailings. I was told that the entire area will be open. Yeah!!!
I've heard several reasons for the closure over the years. Seemed like they just wanted people out and for the place to be forgotten. Glad it will be available to enjoy again.
Do you have any information that backs up your statement that "they just wanted people out and for the place to be forgotten." ??

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Post by kwalsh » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 pm

I'll be curious to see what they have changed. The NPS has gone semi-insane with closing off mine entrances in some places. A lot of dollars spent on closing some really remote stuff and making it very unsightly in the process. In other spots they have done a good job of maintaining the character of the site while still keeping people from falling in.

Give the level of visitation they probably had to do something with Keane. Glad the area is open again. Wonder what it all looks like now!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:49 pm

I believe there used to be a sign near the mine mouth closest to where the trail continues up toward Chloride Cliffs saying something about the trail being closed. I guess I didn't read it very carefully. But the mines were supposed to be pretty iffy and I never went in any of them - I like to see what I'm doing if I'm doing something potentially dangerous.

The area was closed when, due to someone falling in a shaft on BLM land some place (Arizona?) and ensuing legal action, the Inspector General's office said the park had liability for an "attractive nuisance" (by virtue of the parking area, etc) from dangers due to mine collapse and exposed toxins (mercury? cyanide?) in the dust from the area where cyanide processing had been done at the base of the mine.

I could be wrong, but I had always assumed they closed the huge area to make it easier to enforce, or make it harder for someone to come in from the back side and claim ignorance to the closure. But that's just my own wild guess, nothing I've heard from any park employee.

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Keene

Post by TrailHound » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:05 am

I seem to remember something about a danger of the ground collapsing under people's feet due to underground diggings. I could be wrong.

netllama
Grubstaker

Post by netllama » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:05 pm

TacoLand wrote:
ETAV8R wrote:
Do you have any information that backs up your statement that "they just wanted people out and for the place to be forgotten." ??
The fact that its been re-opened proves the statement is fabricated nonsense.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:45 pm

A long time ago I read the Inspector General's report. It referred to danger of collapse of the mines at the top of the tramway, including repeated vandalism to the fencing the park service had put up to keep people out, and the exposed toxic dust right at the cyanide treatment area just to the NW of the parking lot. And it also noted that the NPS was potentially liable for increased damages in litigation by virtue of the existence of the parking area constituting an "attractive nuisance".

I've been to most of the mines in the area over the years. Keane and Big Bell Extension (I think that is the name of the higher of the Big Bells, it might just be Big Bell) did ore processing at least in part on site, with some operation (a mill) over at the Johnny Cyty site. If indeed the entire area were covered with toxic dust, it would have been a superfund site to clean it up!

The Inspector General did not have the authority to close the site. But once that report came out, I imagine the superintendent at the time really had no choice.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:48 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, first I hear that Mitchell Caverns is scheduled to reopen finally next month. And now Keane is also reopening next month?!

Well I seem to remember reading, either here or over at Panamintvalley. Com, that NPS was getting close to reopening this place. Glad to hear it's finally happening!

I'll have to think about attending their little soiree on November 7th. :cool: