December 2017– Voyage of Discovery

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

December 2017– Voyage of Discovery

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:11 pm

For the first time in years, we managed so see all new things. Two of them were things we had searched for but failed to find, and the last was closed for near a decade. One was a pictograph site we'd searched for twice before, to no avail, and the elusive fossil camel tracks that only a few have been to before, including Sk13pin. Additionally, we visited Keane Wonder Mine (just near the parking lot, saved the trek for another time) Most of the interesting photos are hosted at my flickr, and more will be shared below as I add reports and explanations!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145968792 ... 3990675968

ImageIMG_0348 by Andrew Dunning, on Flickr

Two tracks overlap themselves here.

ImageIMG_0361 by Andrew Dunning, on Flickr

This whole slab has tracks on it, and they can be traced as a single animal up the slope!

ImageIMG_0241 by Andrew Dunning, on Flickr

Ancient Lake Manly Beach, at about 150 feet (45 meters) altitude. This is one of the very few remaining intact stretches of shoreline from Lake Manly, this records a lower lake level with a depth of only about 350 feet (110 meters).

ImageIMG_0211 by Andrew Dunning, on Flickr

The famed Keane Wonder Mine lower terminal. I'm standing inside the old mill foundations.

ImageIMG_0217 by Andrew Dunning, on Flickr

I climbed up the slope to the back of the terminal, careful not to step on any of the historic structure. The intricacy of these cast iron parts is amazing!

ImageIMG_0190 by Andrew Dunning, on Flickr

Titus Canyon megabreccia. When this area was buckling under the train of the Grapevine Mountains Thrust Fault, this limestone fractured and was filled in with quartz and other minerals, leaving huge chunks in the wall surrounded by milky white.

ImageIMG_0171 by Andrew Dunning, on Flickr

Titus Canyon is a pilgrimage for those who love limestone.

ImageTo whet your appetite by Andrew Dunning, on Flickr
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Re: December 2017– Voyage of Discovery

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Here's the first writeup with lots of pictures:

http://dvexplore.blogspot.com/2018/01/f ... ograp.html

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:11 pm

Wow, you managed to see an incredible number of interesting places in such a relatively short trip!

It's great you finally got to see Keane Wonder Mine! On your next trip, you may want to consider checking out King Midas Canyon---not only are there some interesting mining relics, but the canyon has some incredible folded rock, and it cuts impressively through the mountains.

I'm curious how you found that fossil track site and those pictographs? I realize you probably can't share any definitive info, but I'm just wondering if you found clues online or heard about them from previous visitors to those locations.
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

netllama
Grubstaker

Post by netllama » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks for sharing, that's an spectacular trip. Those fossilized tracks are amazing. I've seen a few like that in Utah, but I was unaware that they existed in Death Valley too. I'd also love to know more about how you found them. Perhaps message me privately if you're comfortable with that?

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:10 pm

So there are animal tracks in at least one other place than Copper Canyon, interesting and news to me. :cool:

shane
Breyfogler

Post by shane » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 pm

IIRC, the ranger on the Copper canyon hike said there are at least 2 other sites in the park with tracks. I've been meaning to visit one possible area to look around but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe in March :lol:
Very cool find Gower!

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:07 am

Looks like a nice, diverse trip. Pretty cool experience to get to see animal tracks in the park .. and I bet even better doing it on your own and not with a whole group on the Paleo Tour!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:37 pm

Very nice stuff! Both the animal tracks and the pictographs - nice things that are rare out there!

I'll second Kauri's vote to hit up the King Midas mine and canyon. You can make a loop from there to Keane and back to the parking lot by following old miner trails. We had to drop down off the trails into the Keane canyon - an amazing trash heap - and back up to the main trail which goes up to the Keane mines.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:10 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:37 pm
Very nice stuff! Both the animal tracks and the pictographs - nice things that are rare out there!

I'll second Kauri's vote to hit up the King Midas mine and canyon. You can make a loop from there to Keane and back to the parking lot by following old miner trails. We had to drop down off the trails into the Keane canyon - an amazing trash heap - and back up to the main trail which goes up to the Keane mines.
It's been on the radar for a looooong time!

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:23 pm

I've been trying to track down data on the tracks for a while and I've narrowed it down to a few places, I'm going to check one of them in March, hopefully I'll find something!

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:38 pm

Good luck!