May 12-19, Telescope and Panamint City

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
jwinner
Jayhawker

May 12-19, Telescope and Panamint City

Post by jwinner » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Was planning to visit May 12-19 for a few higher elevation places...backpack into Panamint City 13th, hike out the 16th and head to Mahogany Flat, then day hike telescope on the 17th. Not sure if the snow will be gone on the trail by then or not? Figured we would do what we could and see how it goes. Due to time constraints was also planning to fly out and rent a SUV and hope it's good enough to get to Mahogany Flat and Chris Wicht parking. I promise to drive carefully?? I'm sure they don't want me off pavement with those things. Say hello if you see us, and stop and help if I have a flat, eek!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: May 12-19, Telescope and Panamint City

Post by wbdeford » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:10 am

Sounds great! There will probably be some snow left. If snow is blocking the trail, the main ridge that goes up to the false summit should work great.

What are you planning at Panamint City? The road up Sourdough to the Hall Canyon divide has awesome views. I did Sentinel Peak via Panamint Pass and that too was spectacular. If I do it again, I will do it via the Wyoming mine.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:24 am

Be aware that very large rodents are in Panamint City, so take that into account (and hantavirus risks) if you are considering sleeping in a cabin.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:40 pm

I've driven to both those trailheads multiple times in sedans, driving carefully, so anything with higher clearance should be fine, if the roads are in normal conditions Snow? Hard to call, there's been a lot of snow in the last month or so but places that get sun are likely to be clear. There is sometimes a tough cornice on the trial up to Telescope but as noted you can just work up the final ridgeline.

Sentinel via Wyoming Mine would be good. I've looked down on the Soudough road and that looks pretty nice too.

jwinner
Jayhawker

Post by jwinner » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:20 am

Good info, thanks! For Panamint, we were planning to backpack in with tents. We might "hang out" in a cabin if one is available, but probably try not to stir up dust, and still sleep outside. We're from Indiana so there's always some adjusting to hiking in actual mountains versus hills! Depending on how we feel after hiking up there, I was thinking of maybe spend a day doing a loop up to Wyoming Mine, try the crossover trail to Hemlock avoiding the gaping hole, and then down Marvel Canyon. That canyon sounds like it might be interesting, hard to say for sure. Maybe try Sourdough Canyon trail the second day. For Telescope we'll probably turn back if it seems dangerous with snow or ice. We'll have Yak tracks and trekking poles but that's about it. I hope to drive back out in the fall so I can spend a couple weeks camping and exploring more areas without such a short timeline.

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:55 am

A trip report for Telescope Peak is here. Of course, snow conditions could change a lot by May 12.

http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic. ... d0419e6539

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:57 pm

On April 21, I did the final steep ridge with spikes, an ice ax, and a trekking pole. I personally would not have felt safe without at least the spikes and a pole. But several people older than me (50s probably) made it up with normal shoes shortly after I did. Some fresh snow fell up there April 19, but most of it melted the next day except where there already was snow, which got a nice clean layer.

I'm thinking by mid-May whatever snow remains will easily be handled without anything special.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:32 am

FYI - snow is in the forecast the next two days....NWS is calling for several inches.