Telescope Pk

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Telescope Pk

Post by wbdeford » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi Candace....I know we discussed this elsewhere, but including it here in case others are also interested:

https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/

That is the site I use to get good images, though there generally is only one per week, and you have to create an account and figure out how to navigate to see what you want. (It was in an image from there that I noticed there was still some snow in early May.)

Much easier, but much worse resolution shots are here:

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/ind ... tion=2000m

You can easily select a different date, change over to real colors, and get three levels of resolution. (This link is the lowest).

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:37 pm

wbdeford wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:52 pm
Hi Candace....I know we discussed this elsewhere, but including it here in case others are also interested:

https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/

That is the site I use to get good images, though there generally is only one per week, and you have to create an account and figure out how to navigate to see what you want. (It was in an image from there that I noticed there was still some snow in early May.)
I attempted to use that site this afternoon, to find more recent images of something I was looking at on Google Earth. Oh boy! I think I need to sit through a class to figure out how to use that.

I did manage to get a landsat image from the previous day. But it covered a huge area compared to what I was interested in. And, even after I downloaded the JPG, there was no way to zoom in.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Candace, this is how I get to what I am looking for:

1. Login
2. Type Telescope Peak in the Address/Place field and click Show.
3. Click Telescope Peak, California, USA
4. Enter your date range and click Data Sets
5. Click the plus next to Landsat
6. Click the plus next to Landsat Collection 1 Level-1
7. Check the Landsat 8 and Landsat 7 boxes.
8. Click Results
9. From the list of Landsat 8 images that pop up, click the 5th icon (the one with a little green down arrow) to download that image, then click the first Download icon that pops up.
10. Change the Dataset in the drop down to Landsat 7 and check out those images too, but, they have black lines in them.

I open the downloaded images in Windows Photo Viewer or MSPaint and can then zoom to my heart's content.

BTW, looking at the image from July 14, Lake Manly was reborn!! That can even be seen in this much lower resolution image from the same date:

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/ind ... ution=250m

kayaker77
Jayhawker

Post by kayaker77 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:10 pm

I didn't know those web sites existed - what a wonderful resource!! Thank you so much for sharing, I'm very excited to use these!

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:58 pm

OK, I must be hopelessly inept!

When I go to that link (to see the pic of Lake Manly), I end up with a huge pic showing a vast area. I'm not 100% sure where Lake Manly is on that. :oops:

I tried to download the image as a .PNG. But then when I open the downloaded file, all I see is a white background with an outline of the coasts.

Edit: After looking at a map, I realized Badwater is only slightly north of the latitude of Lake Mead and Las Vegas, so I think I see it now.

I had wondered if there was water in the lake, but IMHO it's too damn hot to go look at it, LOL.
Last edited by Candace_66 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Wise
Jayhawker

Re: Earthexplorer

Post by Dave Wise » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:07 pm

I managed to jump through all the hoops with success, but the resolution is terrible at close up. Is there a way to get good close up for hiking route planing?
Thanks

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:31 pm

It is near the top of the image and about 2/3 of the way to the right. The deep blue is where the water is. You can select "True Color", but then it is harder to what is water and what isn't.
Candace_66 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:58 pm
OK, I must be hopelessly inept!

When I go to that link (to see the pic of Lake Manly), I end up with a huge pic showing a vast area. I'm not 100% sure where Lake Manly is on that. :oops:

I tried to download the image as a .PNG. But then when I open the downloaded file, all I see is a white background with an outline of the coasts.

Edit: After looking at a map, I realized Badwater is only slightly north of the latitude of Lake Mead and Las Vegas, so I think I see it now.

I had wondered if there was water in the lake, but IMHO it's too damn hot to go look at it, LOL.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Earthexplorer

Post by wbdeford » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Dave Wise wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:07 pm
I managed to jump through all the hoops with success, but the resolution is terrible at close up. Is there a way to get good close up for hiking route planing?
Thanks
I only use these to check on where there is snow or water on a given date. For route planning, caltopo.com and Google Earth will serve you much better.