NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days off and on starting 10/9 while some forum software modifications are made.

Rogers Peak comm facility proposals (inc. AT&T wireless)

Death Valley related discussion
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Rogers Peak comm facility proposals (inc. AT&T wireless)

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:27 pm

The Park Service is reportedly getting ready to take public comments regarding the Rogers Peak Multi-Use Instrumentation and Communication Facility.

Here's the web site: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHom ... ctID=74087

As that page shows, a number of agencies have applied for permission to add comm facilities up there. Notably, China Lake wants to add a large instrumentation site. And, conveniently for me, AT&T Wireless is still pitching their cell tower. :D

There was a public comment period last year: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.c ... ntID=82328

There should be another public comment period coming up this month. I recently emailed the Park and asked for an update regarding AT&T's proposal to offer cell service via a facility up on Rogers Peak. And on Nov. 30 I got this answer from Abby Wines:

"The NPS is reviewing final draft of the Rogers Peak Multi-Use Instrumentation and Communication Facility Environmental Assessment currently. We anticipate releasing it for a 30 day public comment period on December 11 (or soon after)... One of the proposals under review is AT&T's application for a right-of-way permit to construct a cellular site on Rogers Peak."

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Propane tanks on Roger's Peak

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Candace, thanks for keeping us up to speed. I too have At&t service.

Related question about Rogers Peak communication equipment from my visit to the summit over Labor Day 2018:

What are the multiple huge propane tanks used for up there? They have huge solar panels hooked up, but come to think of it, I did not notice any battery setups to store the energy for night time use. Maybe the propane is for night time energy use?

Life begins in Death Valley

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Re: Rogers Peak comm facility proposals (inc. AT&T wireless)

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:21 pm

Yes, the propane is a supplement to the SCE solar arrays.

The document below will tell you just about everything you might want to know about the facilities on Rogers Peak! :blah:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rA13x ... dxp3Y3UxgM

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:03 am

Candace_66 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:21 pm
The document below will tell you just about everything you might want to know about the facilities on Rogers Peak!
Thanks Candace. I read the whole document and learned a lot. Two trivia items from the report.

1. I would not want to be the driver of that huge propane resupply truck driving up the maintenance road to Roger Peak. Actually driving down might be worse. LOL

2. DEATH VALLEY NATURAL HISTORY ASSOCIATION has a licensed FM station, K204BW at 88.7 frequency. I doubt that they broadcast anything but I'll try to tune in next time I'm there.
Life begins in Death Valley

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 am

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:03 am

2. DEATH VALLEY NATURAL HISTORY ASSOCIATION has a licensed FM station, K204BW at 88.7 frequency. I doubt that they broadcast anything but I'll try to tune in next time I'm there.
That reminds me, at one time there was a radio station operating in DV. It was quite awhile ago, maybe in the 30's?

I recall posting here (or maybe it was on PV.net?) about it. I've tried using Search on both sites, but I can't find my post. :sad:

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Now open for public input:

https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/news/pub ... 7tgEPpELoQ

Holy moly...if all this goes in, Rogers will be on its way to looking like the Sandia crest above Albuquerque! :D (Pic of Sandia Crest: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... _Crest.jpg

"If the NPS approves the right-of-way permits, the following infrastructure would be added or changed:

·Navy Radome: China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station would build a 28-foot-diameter dome containing a telemetry antenna. This would be located on top of a support building, with a combined height of up to 60 feet. The telemetry antenna would provide enhanced monitoring of all military branches’ use of the R-2508 airspace.

·AT&T tower – AT&T Wireless would transmit cellular service from a tower up to 99 feet tall. This would provide cellular service in parts of Panamint Valley and Death Valley that currently have no signal. There would likely be capacity on this tower for other agencies or companies to co-locate in the future.

·Caltrans tower – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) owns a 50-foot-tall tower that is over-allocated and structurally unsound. Caltrans would remove this tower and construct a replacement tower up to 99 feet tall. The Caltrans tower also hosts communications equipment for Southern California Edison and multiple federal, state, and local agencies.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:48 pm

Candace_66 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 am
Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:03 am

That reminds me, at one time there was a radio station operating in DV. It was quite awhile ago, maybe in the 30's?

I recall posting here (or maybe it was on PV.net?) about it. I've tried using Search on both sites, but I can't find my post. :sad:
Update: I found it!

In 1934 there was a radio station called KNLO broadcasting in DV. I posted what little information I had, in the thread linked below. Judging by its reach, I presume it was broadcasting on AM, not FM.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22819&p=69186#p69186