NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/24 while some forum software modifications are made.

Living in Beatty

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
ozarkpanda
Jayhawker

Living in Beatty

Post by ozarkpanda » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:48 pm

Is Beatty friendly towards transplants? What is high speed internet situation? I checked availability and it looks like 25 Mb down is highest speed.

I've been through Beatty and can't remember having issues with wireless coverage but if anyone has any experience with extended use please advise.

I am not from Nevada but travel through Las Vegas frequently and try to get out into the mountains as much as I can including Death Valley. Thinking about getting a place and establishing more permanent presence but want to start small.

Pahrump is the other option but I like how remote Beatty is. That said, is it safe enough place to leave a house unoccupied for extended periods? I do travel a lot...

Thoughts? This forum has always had so much good information I thought I'd ask here.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Living in Beatty

Post by D.A. Wright » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:17 pm

Intersting question. You might get a whole slew of intersting answers. There is at least one board member here who has lived in Beatty, thus can give a better point of view than I. However, I have lived in small towns all my life in the Mojave Desert and the Great Basin, thus I can give my observations.

My experience with small, rural towns, is that new residents will require more time before being accepted with open arms. Many small town populations run the gammut of human nature from open and friendly to those who are there to be left alone.

Beatty’s population has been there for a while, plus it has been relatively stable. One exception was when the Barrack company operated the mine at Rhyolite during the 1990s. Being right next to DVNP, it has to be friendly to the tourism. But like many small towns will be watchful to newcomers until they get to know you.

Pahrump’s population has exploded in the last couple decades and is largely made up of refugees from the cities and retirees. Being a far larger community and the length of residency being relatively short, my opinion would be that your reception would be like any other modern medium to large community.

As for crime, I’d think you can find that info in the Pahrump newspaper and Nye County records online. Small towns don’t necessarily corresponde with Mayberry with Sheriff Andy Taylor and Deputy Barney Fife; nor does Pahrump come close to Vegas crime statistics.

Just my two cents based upon my observations and experiences.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:27 am

We have stayed in Beatty a lot, always at the Atomic Inn. The town seems pretty quiet. Crime does not appear to be much of a problem. I once left an expensive camera on the car seat overnight. Nothing happened. There are not many places to eat. We refuse to eat at Denny's. It's nasty. I think you will be making the two hour drive to Vegas for groceries and shopping. The wifi at the Inn was OK, but I don't know how fast or who their provider is. Wild burros and coyotes are around at night.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:30 pm

AT&T wireless doesn't cover Beatty. I have an AT&T non-contract phone, so I'm out of luck there. :???:

I know someone who lives in Beatty, IIRC she drives all the way to Las Vegas for groceries. But someone else who lives there told me that she gets groceries in Amargosa Valley. I think the store is called Martell Market.

ozarkpanda
Jayhawker

Post by ozarkpanda » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:09 pm

Thank you all. I've lived in small towns so understand how that goes, but never anything like Beatty. I'd be going to the city regularly enough to handle groceries and all that. Was wondering about the population that lives there and whether it's a regular community or mostly transients like myself that are part timers.

I read that fiber was built out to Beatty. With all that wide open space you'd think fixed wireless could beam in some high speeds. I'll look around more.