NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/24 while some forum software modifications are made.

Inside DV - report from 1-19-2019

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Inside DV - report from 1-19-2019

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:53 pm

I'm concluding my first day in DV, Saturday 1/19/2019 now. Perfect day for hiking in the valley so I did a loop from Navel Spring to Hole in the Wall, Red Amphitheater to Park East Entrance and back to Navel Spring. Lots of Bighorn evidence but no sightings. Trip report later.

I made a brief stop at the Visitors Center, open and staffed by two rangers at the desk. A few visitors inside but not as many as usual. I was tired and to dumb to think of snapping an image of all the park's opened and closed venues, but I remember opens are: Dante's, Mesquite Dunes, Zabriskie, Golden Canyon, Artist Palette and Badwater. Closed was Titus Canyon, Westside Road, Salt Creek, and Emigrant Canyon Road but Wildrose Campground was open, which does not make sense.

I can't remember which campgrounds are open but they ask that you pack out all of your personal garbage.

FYI - it must have rained this week as there was standing water in places like DV Junction and in the slots above Navel Spring. Telescope is sporting a good amount of snow as well. Here's an image I took from Navel Spring of Telescope this morning:

I hope that the full lunar blood moon eclipse is not cloud covered tomorrow evening. BTW, after many attempts to video a private airplane taking off from DV Airport Furnace Creek, I finally got one tonight. It was lovely with a sunset over the Panamints for a backdrop. I'll post that soon as well.

If possible I'll try to report on the eclipse tomorrow, if my at&t personal hot spot works, which is how I'm posting this message now.
Life begins in Death Valley

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Inside DV - report from 1-19-2019

Post by wbdeford » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 pm

Nice shot, DVD!

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:53 am

Fuddddgggee .... Westside Road is closed? I was hoping to re-visit some hikes in those canyons off the Westside Road in a month or so. Guess I can spend more time in the Owlshead area if necessary. Trying to stay warm and in lower elevations.

Nice photo of Telescope, hope you've got a clear evening for that lunar eclipse. Enjoy!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Thanks for the status update. Much appreciated.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:59 pm

BTW, where those road closures due to conditions or staffing issues with the government shutdown?

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Post by kwalsh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:43 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:59 pm
BTW, where those road closures due to conditions or staffing issues with the government shutdown?
The status page says West Side closed due to mud.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:11 am

Some are closed because of rain/mud. Some due to the shut down.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/shutdown.htm

Sure wish I was down there this week/next week. Though I'd have a time putting the r pod somewhere. The open campgrounds aren't too desirable.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:16 am

Oh, right, mud. Sorry & thanks for the corrections, everyone. I've got Guv Shutdown on the mind and didn't even consider actual road conditions for West Side Road!