Pleasant Canyon Road conditions?

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Pleasant Canyon Road conditions?

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:51 pm

I asked this question over at Panamint Valley dot net, but haven't got an answer. So I'll try asking here!

What are the conditions on the Pleasant Canyon Road?

I'm wondering if it's possible to follow these driving directions: from Clair Camp, drive 2.5 miles to a Corral. Then bear right, and drive 1.3 miles to a fork. Bear left, and drive one mile to the 7000' level.

I drove to that spot several years ago, to hike Porter Peak. Does anyone know if it's still accessible?

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Re: Pleasant Canyon Road conditions?

Post by TacoLand » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Unfortunately I didn't hit Pleasant Canyon Road when I was down in D.V. at the beginning of the month, but I can offer the anecdotal (at best) info that going through Goler was challenging enough in a modified 4Runner, but I did not run into any areas that seemed like recent weather had made them worse than they usually are. Whether or not that means Pleasant Canyon one canyon north of where I was is business as usual .... no clue, and sorry I couldn't offer better info!

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 pm

David replied on the other site, fairly recently it was in standard condition.

Hopefully it stays that way through May. I've decided the only way I'll get to Sentinel Peak is by climbing Porter again then traversing to Sentinel, LOL. :oops:

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:52 pm

Is Surprise/PC too much of a commitment for you then?
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:55 am

Gowergulch42 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:52 pm
Is Surprise/PC too much of a commitment for you then?
And what about Johnson Canyon, park at Wilson Springs, to Panamint Pass and then lake left to Sentinel Peak? Short but steep?
Life begins in Death Valley

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:09 am

Candace_66 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 pm

Hopefully it stays that way through May. I've decided the only way I'll get to Sentinel Peak is by climbing Porter again then traversing to Sentinel, LOL. :oops:
That would seem the best way to do it if you want to do it as a day hike. From Panamint City or Johnson Canyon it would require hiking with camping gear.

I am hoping to do Porter -> Sentinel in a couple of weeks. Looks pretty smoothe except for the last steep push at the end. Will try to have a trip report up about it the week of May 20. Now that the roads won't let me start at Mahogany Flat, that portion of the trip will be at the beginning. (i.e., less likely to get cancelled due to fatigue, running out of time, etc.)

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:15 pm

Porter to Sentinel is a breeze (likely literally) indeed, except for as you point out the final steep part. But that's not bad really. Well I don't recall it as "bad" but I climbed it 20 years ago and my memory erases bad stuff. But my daughter was 9 at the time and she had no trouble either (of course I raise my kids as tough desert rats).

You can also take the road to the Porter Mine up to about 7200 feet before you hit a locked gate. They did not mind foot traffic beyond that when I did it; there was a caretaker who offered us fresh water. There was enough of a pullout that one could park there. You can see it on the sat images though they are not of the highest resolution for that patch.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 am

Candace_66 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 pm

Hi Candace....did you get to do Sentinel? How did you find it? I found the last stretch really tough coming over from Porter.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Haven't been there. And not sure if I'll make it this season or not!

teotwaki
Jayhawker

Post by teotwaki » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:12 am

Just thought I'd bump the thread to see if anyone has driven the loop in recent weeks.

Jim
best regards,

Jim
My Adventures: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/