NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/24 while some forum software modifications are made.

Rainbow Canyon in the LA Times

Death Valley related discussion
TrailHound
Grubstaker

Rainbow Canyon in the LA Times

Post by TrailHound » Wed May 08, 2019 5:33 am

Grzldvt
Breyfogler

Re: Rainbow Canyon in the LA Times

Post by Grzldvt » Wed May 08, 2019 11:46 pm

Been there when they were flying in the Panamint Valley and put on an incredible display. They buzzed my friend and myself. I was driving a Corvette and one of the fighters dropped so low and close I could see the rivets on the plane. It was pretty amazing as 3 fighters buzzed the Valley. We were on our way out and at that time we had film cameras and blew off all the shots in DV, so no pics.
As we reached the turn to head up to Trona, we pulled over and watched the jets come flying right at us. They got to us, went almost straight up, did a wave and disappeared towards China Lake.
Will never forget it...

Rockhopper
Jayhawker

Post by Rockhopper » Tue May 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Cool! I've never seen the fighters down as low as you describe, though I once saw a trio of fighters rise from the head of Black Creek Canyon and mock-dogfight over Waldo Lake. ... far away in another state.

This year in DV we saw a stealth bomber and a companion plane -- black bird and white bird. Not very close, though. The pictures were telephoto, and a little blurry. Best one below.

shane
Breyfogler

Post by shane » Tue May 14, 2019 7:24 pm

I saw the same stealth-jet combo in January while backpacking the owlshead mtns, your photo is way better than any I got 😬

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu May 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Yes I can recall looking down into the canopy of a plane flying low in the Panamint Valley from the tallest dune out there.