Death Valley Jim - current status?

Death Valley related discussion
jacknv7
Grubstaker

Re: Death Valley Jim - current status?

Post by jacknv7 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:39 am

Most of the case is open public information. The case is ongoing and Jim entered a plea of not guilty. It would have been much easier to follow the park rules.

James B. Mattern (1)
Office: Bakersfield
County: Kern
Other Court Case: None

Complaint - 36 C.F.R. § 5.3- Engaging in or soliciting any business in park areas without a permit, contract or other written agreement with the United States

Defendant Custody Status: Released

Defendant: James B. Mattern represented by Megan Taylor Hopkins(Designation Public Defender or Community Defender Appointment)
Plaintiff: USA represented by Gary M. Leuis, GOVT

EastCoastWestCoast
Jayhawker

Post by EastCoastWestCoast » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:58 am

jacknv7 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:39 am
Most of the case is open public information. The case is ongoing and Jim entered a plea of not guilty. It would have been much easier to follow the park rules.

James B. Mattern (1)
Office: Bakersfield
County: Kern
Other Court Case: None

Complaint - 36 C.F.R. § 5.3- Engaging in or soliciting any business in park areas without a permit, contract or other written agreement with the United States

Defendant Custody Status: Released

Defendant: James B. Mattern represented by Megan Taylor Hopkins(Designation Public Defender or Community Defender Appointment)
Plaintiff: USA represented by Gary M. Leuis, GOVT

He prides himself on shirking the rules. He has managed to get away with a lot of B'S over the years, so his philosophy is "ask for forgiveness, not permission." I provided a statement to the NPS when they were investigating him last year. It seems they thought he was doing a much higher volume of business, a la pink jeep type of tours. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets off the hook. It's what he's done for his entire life. I hope someone crucifies him in court someday. He has no sense of integrity and he will keep doing this kind of crap until the end of time unless some judge decides to make an example out of him. Hasn't happened yet. It's astounding if you look into his full record everything he's gotten away with over the years with little more than slaps on the wrist.

Aedwards27
Grubstaker

Post by Aedwards27 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:14 pm

After seeing his domestic violence conivction in Fresno Superior Court I have to say that I'm glad he is staying away. He seems unbalanced.

EastCoastWestCoast
Jayhawker

Post by EastCoastWestCoast » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Aedwards27 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:14 pm
After seeing his domestic violence conivction in Fresno Superior Court I have to say that I'm glad he is staying away. He seems unbalanced.
Not the first time he has harmed a woman. I think a lot of people believed he was a nice guy with a wholesome interest in the desert, but that is not the case. He is on probation for 3 years and domestic violence group therapy for a year. He is currently going to trucking school to learn to drive an 18 wheel. I'm trying to remain factual in my responses without emotionally charging them, it's not easy after how he treated me.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:51 pm

Lots of good discourse here. This individual sounds like something I left in a cathole a few days ago. I hope karma deals him what he is due. Sad to see some people fell for his charms and/or even recollect him in a good light.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:19 am

EastCoastWestCoast wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:29 pm
He is currently going to trucking school to learn to drive an 18 wheel. I'm trying to remain factual in my responses without emotionally charging them, it's not easy after how he treated me.
From photos I’ve seen of him, he’d look like a sequal to a Mad Max vs Duel movie.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

EastCoastWestCoast
Jayhawker

Post by EastCoastWestCoast » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:29 pm

D.A. Wright wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:19 am

From photos I’ve seen of him, he’d look like a sequal to a Mad Max vs Duel movie.
Not trying to derail or devolve the conversation to his looks. But I can't imagine for than life of me how any one was able to take him seriously between the blatant used car salesman approach to trying to hock his writing and photography as well as his poser "bad scary guy" image.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 am

FYI - They reached a plea agreement:
Filed: 09/10/2019
Entered: 09/11/2019
Entered By: S Hall,
Event Name(s): Set Deadlines/Hearings, Status Conference - CR, Terminate Deadlines and Hearings - CR
Full Docket Text for Document 15:
MINUTES (Text Only) for proceedings before Magistrate Judge Jennifer L. Thurston: FIFTH STATUS CONFERENCE as to James B. Mattern held on 9/10/2019. The parties stated that a plea agreement has been reached, and a written plea agreement is forthcoming. Sixth Status Conference set for 12/3/2019 at 09:00 AM in Bakersfield, 510 19th Street before Magistrate Judge Jennifer L. Thurston. Rule 43 waiver granted as to defendant's appearance at next hearing. Government Counsel: E. Standefer present. Defense Counsel: M. Lemke present. Custody Status: Defendant not present per Rule 43. Court Reporter/CD Number: ECRO/FTR- Hall. (Hall, S)

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:09 pm

This case seems to drag on and on. If a plea agreement was reached I assume it could have been handled at the last status conference where the agreement was announced. It will be interesting if a plea agreement is actually accepted on Dec. 3 or if the case is again continued.

teotwaki
Jayhawker

Post by teotwaki » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:39 am

Glad to have read through this thread and see Fake DV Jim has been finally outed. I probably helped indirectly
years ago because I had an acquaintance who was a DV Ranger and he asked me a lot of questions about DV Jim.
The DV Admin types had heard some troubling things but didn't know where to go looking so I pointed out his website and books
as a good place to start.

I'm surprised no one has gone after the proceeds from the sales of his books on Amazon because I still see that garbage listed for sale.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=death+valley ... _sb_noss_2

Jim Mattern had a lot of fanboys writing fake reviews so maybe there are no proceeds to go after....
best regards,

Jim
My Adventures: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/

EastCoastWestCoast
Jayhawker

Post by EastCoastWestCoast » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:48 am

teotwaki wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:39 am
Glad to have read through this thread and see Fake DV Jim has been finally outed. I probably helped indirectly
years ago because I had an acquaintance who was a DV Ranger and he asked me a lot of questions about DV Jim.
The DV Admin types had heard some troubling things but didn't know where to go looking so I pointed out his website and books
as a good place to start.

I'm surprised no one has gone after the proceeds from the sales of his books on Amazon because I still see that garbage listed for sale.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=death+valley ... _sb_noss_2

Jim Mattern had a lot of fanboys writing fake reviews so maybe there are no proceeds to go after....
I hope part of his plea agreement is removing his books from amazon. As far as I know, jim never made THAT much money on books. Most people saw the low quality of the first few and stopped buying them. He made most of his money running his unsanctioned tours, which is what the lawsuit was regarding. The last we spoke, he had a haughty demeanor and was very confident he would be getting just a "slap on the wrist and a small fine." I'm sure hes still out there, doing the occasional tour and dodging the law. He hardly had any legitimate reviews on amazon and did most of his promoting on Facebook, which has now gone quiet. His amazon profile was recently changed to "past tense" (he WAS an explorer, etc). So long, farewell, auf weidersehn, goodbye, GOOD RIDDANCE. I am truly surprised people still miss him and sing his praises after his gofundme stunt and not shipping out products people paid for.