NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/17 while some forum software modifications are made.

Ticks in Death Valley

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: Ticks in Death Valley

Post by Kauri » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:27 pm

TonyG wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:51 pm
Some recommend a concentrated DEET spray, like Jungle Juice from REI, https://www.rei.com/product/799528/sawy ... et-2-fl-oz, but if the ticks are really hungry, they may disregard it, like the deer outside our house that doesn't mind a crushed red pepper in the anti-squirrel bird feed at all... https://photos.app.goo.gl/8qNGG6y7kuk8wUPd7
Sometimes I wonder how picky deer really are about what they eat, since I've seen deer in the SF-Bay Area eating poison oak leaves!
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:36 pm

To update this, yesterday I climbed Panamint Butte from the Big 4 mine. Up closer to the summit, two or three times I found a tick walking up the front of my pants. :roll:

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:43 pm

Candace_66 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:36 pm
I climbed Panamint Butte from the Big 4 mine. Up closer to the summit, two or three times I found a tick walking up the front of my pants.
Well, I'm "ticked off" that you got to summit Panamint Butte and I did not. I considered hiking past Lemoigne Mine to Panamint Butte but wisely chose not to due to fatigue. I would not have made it back to Emigrant until well past dark. :help:

Candace, you better provide a trip report of your adventure or else I'll get all ticked off again.
Life begins in Death Valley

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:48 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:43 pm
Well, I'm "ticked off" that you got to summit Panamint Butte and I did not. I considered hiking past Lemoigne Mine to Panamint Butte but wisely chose not to due to fatigue. I would not have made it back to Emigrant until well past dark. :help:

Candace, you better provide a trip report of your adventure or else I'll get all ticked off again.
I can never be bothered to do reports, LOL.

I will tell you this much: I wish I had done the Lemoigne Canyon route, instead of the route from the Big 4 mine! It is very steep, even dangerously steep, in places.

Though the Lemoigne Canyon route is about twice the mileage, I suspect it wouldn't have been much more effort in the end.

Perhaps someday I will climb the Butte via that route and I can make a fair comparison. I would not climb it again from Big 4 Mine! Though I will say you get some stupendous views from that ridge, on the way up and on the way down.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Candace_66 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:36 pm
I found a tick walking up the front of my pants.
FYI - The first of July 2019 I discovered two ticks upon my bod, I believe they were Rocky Mountain ticks common around my small ranch at the base of the Wasatch Mountains. I got some pretty good closeups with my iPhone while teasing one of the critters with some tweezers. So far, no symptoms of Rocky Mountain Fever. :roll:

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Candace_66 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:48 pm
Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:43 pm
I will tell you this much: I wish I had done the Lemoigne Canyon route, instead of the route from the Big 4 mine! It is very steep, even dangerously steep, in places.

Though the Lemoigne Canyon route is about twice the mileage, I suspect it wouldn't have been much more effort in the end.
Candace, I've given some thought to comparing the Big Four Mine vs. Lemoigne Canyon routes to the summit of Panamint Butte. It's quite the slog to start walking from Emigrant Campground and then to the butte via Lemoigne (I have not summited the butte yet, so this is pure speculation.) If I were to attempt the butte from the east side (Emigrant area) I'd take a jeep over the bumping road from the highway to Lemoigne and drive up the canyon to the parking area where the wilderness restoration sign is and hike from there. That would save the slog back as well.

I checked out the Big Four Mine briefly when I first discovered Death Valley and want to revisit and spend more time there so I'll probably combine that with a western face summit of Panamint Butte and trace a few of your boot marks. I'll be hoping for some dandy weather in order to capture some great sunsets or sunrises as part of the day's adventure.

kayaker77
Jayhawker

Post by kayaker77 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Ha ha - I love the music in your tick video! :lol: Thanks for posting that.

Glad to hear you didn't get rocky mountain spotted fever.