Funeral Slot Scramble - Chimney Fall Stop

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Funeral Slot Scramble - Chimney Fall Stop

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:53 pm

Scramble up, over, and around The Funeral Slot Canyon on a lovely winter day December 2019. The colors match those of The Artist's Palette. The eastern edge of the drainage is bordered by a large multi-colored fault line. Several dry falls are difficult to bypass. I was stopped again by the Chimney Fall so spent most of the day exploring the drainage between the huge fault line east at the base of the Funeral Mountains and the entrance to the Funeral Slot.

I encountered no animals, saw no artifacts but sure enjoyed the clear air and great views in perfect hiking weather. This is my third visit to the general area and first hike right up the mouth rather than skirting around the north ridgeline. I still plan on a fourth visit to find a bypass around the Chimney Fall either on the north or south side of it's narrow. I spotted some prospects but ran out of energy and time exploring the lovely drainage. The afternoon light was magic.

Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Re: Funeral Slot Scramble - Chimney Fall Stop

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:05 pm

What does that big stone arrow near the beginning mark?

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:59 am

Very nicely done movie! But I would have liked to see more images of the areas you explored and less Google Earth overviews.

You might enjoy visiting the narrows accessed by continuing through the tall, narrow slot that's on the left in the main canyon just past the turnoff for Funeral Slot. That side canyon opens up briefly, then forks, and one of the forks becomes narrow again (though the narrows aren't nearly as good as in the other forks). It appears from your map that you didn't visit the upper part of that side canyon?
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:42 pm

Kauri wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:59 am
Very nicely done movie! But I would have liked to see more images of the areas you explored and less Google Earth overviews.

You might enjoy visiting the narrows accessed by continuing through the tall, narrow slot that's on the left in the main canyon just past the turnoff for Funeral Slot. That side canyon opens up briefly, then forks, and one of the forks becomes narrow again (though the narrows aren't nearly as good as in the other forks). It appears from your map that you didn't visit the upper part of that side canyon?
Thanks for the feedback Kauri. I believe you're correct about me not visiting the upper part of that side canyon. After scrambling around from the south wash I did peer down two dry falls that I did not dare to climb down or bypass. My next trip there I hope to complete an exploration of the areas you have mentioned.

Believe it or not, I had to use Google Earth after returning home to figure out exactly where I had scrambled around. It's easy to get confused out there, at least for me. LOL

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:47 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:05 pm
What does that big stone arrow near the beginning mark?
Yup, that stone arrow is a weird one. It actually points directly west up that earthwork which one can follow for a quarter mile or so rather than trudge the streambed before dropping back into it on the way back to Texas Springs. I would have missed that arrow if I had not actually hiked from Texas Spring to that earthwork wall formation and followed it towards the Funeral Slot. I assume it is a directional trail marker but it could be for some other odd reason?

Someone went to quite a bit of work to place those stones there which to me is not necessary. Go figure?

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:55 pm

Thanks for all the videos you post. I love them!

When I want to know where I went, I start recording a track on my GPS, stick it in a pocket, and forget about it. I save the track at the end. Be sure to move away from the track screen before pocketing the unit. Buttons get pushed as the unit jostles around. You don't want the track to be interrupted.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:21 pm

I'm too old fashioned :smile: I bring a Google Earth printout of the area and a pen, then draw where I've been on the map as I go.

I think the arrow was not there my first trip to Funeral Slot but was there my most recent trip, but I could have missed it. Maybe a bored family camping at Texas Springs built it? :lol:
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php