Jayhawker

Re: The next best thing to Star Wars Canyon

Post by Daw89446 » Sat May 02, 2020 8:14 pm

Cool images!

rca076
Jayhawker

Post by rca076 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:29 am

That looks awesome! Does anyone know if jets are flying nowadays at this place? Thanks

Daw89446
Jayhawker

Post by Daw89446 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:31 pm

It is my understanding that most jets flying in the Owens Valley and eastward are actually based at Leemoore. So I assume they like to play near home a bit to and from the desert.

rca076
Jayhawker

Post by rca076 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:35 am

I meant to say at Star Wars Canyon or Father Crowley Overlook. :grin:

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu May 14, 2020 6:07 pm

I was there on 17 March and a couple of guys were waiting for planes. We talked as I thought I'd tell them the planes weren't flying, but they said they had just started again a few days earlier, and it sounded like they knew what they were talking about. I did not see any but did not hang out as I was seeking some petros up on Lee Flat.

rca076
Jayhawker

Post by rca076 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:50 am

Ok. Thanks

ski3pin
Jayhawker

Post by ski3pin » Mon May 18, 2020 7:11 pm

Hike out to the Needles where the fire lookout was located and watch and wait.

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Mon May 18, 2020 7:18 pm

ski3pin wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:11 pm
Hike out to the Needles where the fire lookout was located and watch and wait.
Nice!! I know that spot, but haven't been there for 8 years. If I recall correctly, before you go up the stairs to the lookout, you can scramble through the rocks and trees to the left and get to an overlook of the nearby valley, which had a better view of the airplanes flying through, in my opinion. How was the road to the parking area for the lookout? It had some very rough places last time we were there, not sure if they've gotten worse since then.
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

sonyhome
Jayhawker

Post by sonyhome » Mon May 18, 2020 9:48 pm

The needles lookout was great. The guard was making cookies for climbers every week and it had the rare guiding topo of the area fully annotated with decades of beta from all the climbers. That topo was also a big loss. I doubt anyone took photos of every page of it.

ski3pin
Jayhawker

Post by ski3pin » Tue May 19, 2020 9:52 am

We were last there October of 2018. The road was okay. The F-18 pictured came in from the south, unnoticed by us, and flew through the notch between spires just south of the remains of the lookout. He did a turn back to the south diverting our notice of the next fighter that came right over the top of us. The photo was taken after we picked ourselves up from the walkway.

Our buddy who was with us started his career with the USFS on the Sequoia National Forest in the late 60's. He was a climber and spent a lot of time on the Needles. A guy named Luke was the fire lookout back in those days. I've heard a lot of stories from those good old days. My buddy's supervisor's son was a fighter pilot. The pilot, when in the area, would go looking for his Dad and his crew. He enjoyed surprising the men on the ground.

The loss of this classic lookout is heartbreaking. Rebuilding should be a priority.

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln