What is it, and/or where is it?

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: What is it, and/or where is it?

Post by Kauri » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:23 am

I'd guess the badlands area south of Salt Creek, near the old road to the salt springs and borax works?
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:20 am

Close in off 190 east somewhere

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Hmm.. how about along the old road from Hell's Gate, that diverges from the Beatty road somewhere near the Buttes, and drops into the Kit Fox Hills, where there are still poles from the old Ryholite - Skidoo telegraph line? At the bottom of the valley that road would have headed to the Stovepipe Well.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Not sure how long to leave this before answering

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:32 pm

but here goes anyway.

This old car is located a quarter mile southeast of The Harmony Borax Works. If you ascend the hill south of the works and follow the ridgeline southeast toward the highway and the Visitors Center at Furnace Creek you will see it on a flat. Another hundred yards past the car is the old dump site for the works with heaps of rusted old cans, car tires, and other glass and junk which has been partially bulldozed and leveled.
Life begins in Death Valley

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Well dumb me. I've most likely seen that car as I've walked around the trail to the dump several times!

shadow
Jayhawker

Post by shadow » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:17 pm

Page 21 at the bottom.. I am D.P. I thought these little boys deserved a better headstone. I plan on doing it to other graves that are deteriorating.

shadow
Jayhawker

Post by shadow » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 am

Page 21 at the bottom. I am D.P. I thought these boys needed a new headstone. I am going to do this at other graves when I can.

shadow
Jayhawker

Post by shadow » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:51 pm

sorry about the double post. I didn't think it went thru.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:53 am

shadow wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 am
I am going to do this at other graves when I can.
You do kind and thoughtful work. Hats off to you and those who you honor.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:07 am

shadow wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:17 pm
Page 21 at the bottom.. I am D.P. I thought these little boys deserved a better headstone. I plan on doing it to other graves that are deteriorating.
Aha, so now I know who put up the new marker! :smile:

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Mysterious Sounds - Death Valley

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:44 am

Where is this location inside Death Valley National Park and what is creating these "snapping" sounds?

Hints and clues: Hot dogs. Rice Crispies. Boa Snake. Popcorn. Clouds. Solar Energy. February 2020.

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Post by bluegreen kayak » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am

Mud warming up in Mustard Canyon?

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:33 am

bluegreen kayak wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am
Mud warming up in Mustard Canyon?
You are zeroing in on the mystery but more Death Valley detective sleuthing is required for a fully correct answer. :bawling:

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:42 pm

We mud falling off the mud cliffs? No idea where though.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Answer: Mustard Canyon - Details

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:14 pm

Bluegreen kayak got the location and substance correct but the time of day wrong.

On one of my first trips ever to DEVA I exited my vehicle to take a closer look at the yellow mudwall formations in Mustard Canyon. While walking the short distance from the graded dirt road to the mudwalls I heard cracking and snapping sounds which I mistook for the engine of my vehicle cooling down rapidly. As I stood at the foot of the mudwalls the sound increased and direction became clear, from the mudwalls, not my vehicle's engine.

Amused, I felt the mudwall with my hand and it was rather warm, almost hot. This was around sunset time and so I concluded that the snap, crackle, and popping was from the mudwalls contracting while cooling down rapidly from the much cooler night air temperature. With no jets overhead, passing traffic on nearby Highway 190 one can be entertained by the crescendo of the crackings. I did not think to record the experience then, regretfully.

For several years now recording the Mustand Canyon Mud Crack Symphony has been my goal but not until Friday afternoon February 7th was the condition and timing just right. This included a clear sky during the day, the sun low enough on the horizon and across the sky to shine energy directly on the mudwall to store enough heat that when the sunset time cool off happened the rapid contractions of the hard mud created the snapping sounding.

The deceptive portion of the video was what appeared to be the sun rising in the east but what was actually the moon rising in the east after the sun had just set in the west. The sun never appears in the video, just the full moon which is out of focus because the camera is on the mudwall. I did not zoom out to show any panorama so as to not give away the location in preparation for this mystery quiz.

Those mudwalls are very coarse, sharp, jagged and hold their form quite well even in the rain. There are a couple of large chucks recently separated from the walls and crashed to the base. I would not want to under one of these death traps when it cut loose.

So thanks for humoring me and sharing in the fun of another DEVA mystery.