Panamint Hilton Work

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
RoguePhotonic
Jayhawker

Panamint Hilton Work

Post by RoguePhotonic » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:12 pm

After another trip to Panamint City this last weekend it made me think more about what could be done to the Hilton to make it a better place. As some of you probably already know the fridge and stove were removed to make less living space for the killer lemurs that haunt the place. I also removed allot of junk from the place.

What I am wondering about is general public opinion. The Hilton is one of the most desirable places to stay up there and after all these years the novelty of it being an actual house is long gone. I personally feel that anything not serving a good function should be removed like the stove and fridge were.

My primary target is aspects of the kitchen. Do we really need the cabinets? They have plates in them but who the hell is going to clean one of those and use it? The other had stuff stored in it from hikers most of which had been heavily ransacked and then defecated on by the lemurs. The drawers of the counters are filled with actual forks and junk. Under the sink is a lemur nest.

Basically I propose removing the cabinets off the walls, removing all drawers and their contents, removing the doors off the counter tops and basically cleaning everything out from beneath it. The idea is to remove all those closed off areas the rats hide in while maintaining a realistic amount of functionality.

Other then that the mattress standing up in the bedroom should be removed. It has been ripped apart by rats and only takes up space and creates more hiding places.

The shelve in the closet is covered in what probably looks like to the average person a great assortment of repair supplies for the place. As a carpenter I can tell you that almost nothing on that shelve is useful. Yet again it takes space and attracts rats.

Unless there is a general out cry on the idea i'd like to take a power drill with me on my next trip and remove the items listed.

What the place needs added to it is bomb proof storage for items such as a couple Bear Vault 500's.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:27 pm

I personally do not know much about the Hilton or the protocol for the cabins, but because they are more or less historical, I think that minimal work should be done to change them. Maybe turning the cabinets into tables by removing the doors and walls to make them less enclosed yet maintain the funtionality. I see your concern with the rat problem though . . . Hmmm . . . From the cabins I've seen the kitchees is the least practical but most enjoyable space of the cabin. If I were you I'd talk to someone who knows more about rodent behavior and the places the like and what keeps them away before just going in with power tools and dismantling the place. And don't forget about the risks in rodent feces!
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

badtux
Breyfogler

Post by badtux » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:47 pm

The Hilton is not historic, it was built in the 1980's, and is on private land. I think the first thing that needs to be done is to seal it properly to keep the packrats out. Note that packrats need to eat seeds and such from outside the cabin in order to survive, thus sealing the cabin will either result in dead packrats inside the cabin or packrats successfully kept out of the cabin, or both. All that's needed for that is a *lot* of spray foam. Removing the cabinets from the wall is likely not necessary, but moving the counters away from the wall to locate egres/ingres is probably necessary. The sink should be covered/sealed off at some point because the trap drips. Diluted bleach from a spray bottle should also be sprayed all around to deal with possible health issues from rodent feces.

Another issue is that the cistern which provides water to the City at the corner of the maintenance shed needs a new cover. You can see a photo of it at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29775813@N ... 2110038276

How to do all this given the general difficulty of arriving at the Hilton is an exercise left to the reader.

RoguePhotonic
Jayhawker

Post by RoguePhotonic » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:22 am

Did another trip this last weekend.

Removed the cabinet doors and removed everything in them. Also removed all the drawers. Took the standing mattresses out of the back room. Also removed a whole mess of little things.

Packed in a bottle of 409 and did some cleaning.

Not nearly as much work as I would have liked to do but it's all a start.

The place was in worse shape then I had seen it before.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:37 am

I'm curious what you did with all the stuff you removed?

Also, when were the stove and fridge removed? Was that years ago, when there was still vehicle access? Or are they still sitting around up there somewhere? I've never been up to PC myself, unfortunately.

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:40 am

Candace_66 wrote:I'm curious what you did with all the stuff you removed?

If the doors and drawers were removed then you can be sure they will be firewood any day now.

Also, when were the stove and fridge removed? Was that years ago, when there was still vehicle access? Or are they still sitting around up there somewhere? I've never been up to PC myself, unfortunately.
They were removed this past summer. They are being stored in the compound out of the weather.

Back when there was vehicle access we kept all that stuff in working condition and the place stayed clean because we packed everyone else's trash out.

RoguePhotonic
Jayhawker

Post by RoguePhotonic » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:22 pm

If the doors and drawers were removed then you can be sure they will be firewood any day now.
Lol yes we actually used some of them for firewood ourselves.

As for the rest of the stuff I simply chucked it off the porch to the West. After all the moving I then looked out the window and you can see all the crap sitting there so I will probably move it again on the next trip.

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:55 pm

RoguePhotonic wrote:
Lol yes we actually used some of them for firewood ourselves.

As for the rest of the stuff I simply chucked it off the porch to the West. After all the moving I then looked out the window and you can see all the crap sitting there so I will probably move it again on the next trip.
There's a trash pit up past the old trailers if you can't/won't pack it out. Burning out the trash can before dumping was how it was done in the past.

There are other ways of going about obtaining firewood that doesn't include the destruction of private property.

Anything you say can and will be used against you.

B-spec
Death Valley Resident

Post by B-spec » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:18 pm

You have a lot of nerve taking apart a structure on private property and then burning it.

LarryW
Death Valley Resident

Post by LarryW » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:02 pm

Wow! You are removing and burning private property? Why not just burn the entire city down while you are at it?

RoguePhotonic
Jayhawker

Post by RoguePhotonic » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:05 pm

There's a trash pit up past the old trailers if you can't/won't pack it out.
The stuff I chucked off the porch were not items that you would causally pack out. It was all the pots and pans that I can't see anyone ever using considering their filth. Most backpackers are set up with their cooking needs. Anything that was simple trash like paper was burnt in the fire. Any other personal trash was of course packed out.
There are other ways of going about obtaining firewood that doesn't include the destruction of private property
I agree. We didn't burn any of the stuff because we were too lazy to get fire wood. We actually spent a good amount of time doing so. It was more a casual burn it up to remove trash. I think it's better for it to be gone rather then rotting drawers out in the bushes.

The whole reason I made this thread was to see if there was any public out cry on making the changes I did. And there was none. Everything done was to make the Hilton a more desirable place to stay for any visitors and I feel that was all accomplished nicely. The over all condition of the place is deteriorating and without making radical changes the place just wont last.

B-spec
Death Valley Resident

Post by B-spec » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Do us all a favor and stop making the Hilton a better place for the rest of us. Stop taking the place apart and stop tossing stuff off the porch.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

???

Post by Candace_66 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:04 am

Part of PC is private property? It's within the Park boundaries, so I assumed it was all public land up there nowadays. Who does it belong to? Are the other structures also on the private property?

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:09 am

The Inyo County parcel information system is showing 22 parcels at the end of Surprise Canyon Road designated as industrial mining totaling about 500 acres. The parcels range in size from 5 to 58 acres.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:07 pm

And a judge - at the behest of a certain "environmental" group, has taken away the right of the property owners to access their land. :evil:
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.