On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Hunter Mtn from Hwy 190

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Like to Hike
Breyfogler

Hunter Mtn from Hwy 190

Post by Like to Hike » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Anyone been over this road lately? High clearance I imagine. We will continue North from there and make the loop back to Furnace Creek. We have been the southern route but went out over Lippencot. That was a great trip but have not been to the Hunter Mtn area. It looks like a few interesting mines to explore too. Hopefully the area off the main road is not closed like so many other areas. Any thoughts on this trip would be appreciated!
Thanks.

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:43 pm

As of last week, Hunter Mountain was clear of snow. A good number of dual sport bikes went through last week.

I'd say standard spring conditions, which means a late storm could change things, and there will likely be mud holes up on top.

Hidden Valley is standard, with the normal soft silt section requiring some momentum to get through.

Yes, high clearance needed, 4wd maybe not so much, excepting the mud and silt.

David Bricker / SYR

Like to Hike
Breyfogler

Post by Like to Hike » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:34 pm

Sorry I did not clarify David but our trip won't be until the Fall. I just start planing early for our 3 week adventure. I was just curious about the road in general (in good weather).
Thanks

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Post by wbdeford » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:46 am

The next week is supposed to be pretty wet.

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:01 pm

Check back in close to your trip. Since my son Noah is working at PSR, I can get some pretty up to date info.

David Bricker / SYR

Hillbasher
Jayhawker

Post by Hillbasher » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:17 pm

Went through on the Hunter Mountain road weekend of April 2-4 and you could have gotten a street car up it. Went from PSR to HMR to Hidden Valley and down through Tea Kettle Junction to spend Saturday night at HomeSteak. The few areas on top of Hunter Mountain that were rutted had drive arounds that just about any vehicle could have gotten by. Nice road and had a great trip.

Hillbasher
Jayhawker

Post by Hillbasher » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:23 pm

Dave, tried looking up your son Saturday morning at PSR, but as luck would have it, it was his day off. We did not end up going down Lippencot due to being by ourselves (solo vehicle), and thought I would wait until I could do it with another vehicle along. Had a great time and spent Sunday night at the cabin at Minietta.

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Post by wbdeford » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:19 pm

Lots of mud April 11 and more rain fell April 12. (See my road report post)

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:51 pm

Hillbasher wrote:Dave, tried looking up your son Saturday morning at PSR, but as luck would have it, it was his day off. We did not end up going down Lippencot due to being by ourselves (solo vehicle), and thought I would wait until I could do it with another vehicle along. Had a great time and spent Sunday night at the cabin at Minietta.
Sorry you missed Noah.. His "normal" schedule has him off on Friday and Saturdays. He normally works the breakfast and a good part of the lunch shift. On his days off, he is typically out wheeling and exploring. He is really making the most of his time out there. I'm jealous.

Maybe next time.

David Bricker / SYR

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Post by wbdeford » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Big thunderstorm (in terms of lightning) with rain and snow on Hunter Mountain the night of April 24. Snow was visible from Panamint Springs the next morning, so likely more mud now.