On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Back Country Camping Near Skidoo?

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
tcknubs
Jayhawker

Back Country Camping Near Skidoo?

Post by tcknubs » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:40 am

Hello DVtalk Community,
Love reading the posts on this site. So much great advice which is why I come to you for some wisdom. I'm looking for some "off the beaten path" places to camp near Skidoo. It seems like the park has done its best to monopolize camping sites from furnace creek to stovepipe but I was wondering if anyone knows of any reachable campsites that still allow for seclusion from others. A simple dirt patch is all I need. :) I'm aware you cannot camp at skidoo, augberry, etc.
I'll be traveling north from furnace creek, so any area between there and stovepipe would be ideal. I've considered driving out of the park as well, east near ryan but that's plan B.
Also, I've considered Navel Springs, Has anyone camped there or even driven there? From what I've read, there is a gate....buuuuut..... :lol: ;-)
Anyways please feel free to reply or PM me. Any advice would be great!

Thank you in advance and for sharing your adventures!

PS my vehicle is a Ford F150 4x4 standard clearance.
Thanks

CanyonmanClark
Jayhawker

Post by CanyonmanClark » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:03 pm

Tucki Mine Road or Cottonwood Canyon Road.

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Post by wbdeford » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:04 pm

As long as you hike 1 mile away from Skidoo, you should be able to camp in any suitable spot you find.

But I am assuming you want to take your vehicle with you. You may be able to get your truck far enough down Cottonwood/Marble Canyon road to where you are allowed to camp. Lemoigne Canyon is another possibility, but I haven't driven that so I don't know what kind of clearance you need. There are also a couple of side roads to the east from Emigrant Canyon road, south of the road to Aguereberry. Haven't driven those either.

Farther away from the area you are talking about:

Lake Hill Road in the Panamint Valley.

I had a nice night 1 mile up Johnson Canyon road--easily driven by my low clearance, front wheel drive rented SUV. Probably could have gone much farther.

Lots of choices down Harry Wade and the Saline Valley Road.

Most any vehicle can go a little ways on Lippincott Road at the top end, and a few miles at the bottom end.

The middle of the Eureka Valley down the side road toward the Hidden Dunes is an awesome campsite. Very peaceful and great star viewage.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Lemoigne Canyon road is very bad, high clearance 4WD a must.

There are lots of nice campsites just inside the Cottonwood Canyon mouth and your truck should be able to access them---there may be other campers there, but you can easily find a spot where you can't see them.

FYI there seems to be a mountain lion that frequents the Navel Springs area, as I came across its den last year.
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:42 pm

Don't forget about the Telephone Canyon Road. Last time I was there (a few weeks ago) the first mile or so was easier than the Lemoigne Canyon Road. And when I inquired I was told it is fine to camp along it, as long as you drive in at least one mile. :cool:

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:06 pm

Guarantee you won't see anybody up Wood Canyon or Nemo Canyon. Both roads are rough two tracks, but not rough enough for a stock vehicle. Just go slow and you'll avoid punctures. Go way to the top of Wood Canyon for an incredible view, and its not far from the Day Use Only area of Skidoo :-)
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri May 06, 2016 5:10 pm

The Telephone Canyon road is the same as the Tucki Mine road. I've driven in far enough to camp in a sedan.

Can't take a sedan to the end of Wood Canyon but I'll sure vouch for the view!

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat May 07, 2016 12:14 pm

Not sure of the timing of your trip, but if you are planning on camping in upper elevations, such as Skidoo, I assume you are planning for late spring, summer or autumn.

I perceive from your post that you welcome other places. My suggestion is the upper elevations within the Nevada Triangle, or outside the park in the far northern end. Specifically, Strozzi Ranch (small camp spot with porta-potty and table); and east of Crankshaft Crossing, in the Oriental Wash area are Stateline ghost town or Oriental (backcountry camping). All around the 6,000 foot to 7,000 foot levels.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

tcknubs
Jayhawker

wildrose road to emigrant pass

Post by tcknubs » Tue May 10, 2016 3:57 am

Thank you all for these great suggestions! Ideally we would go between late February to mid march. Wood Canyons would definitely be ideal to camp but I may also take my usual campsite near ballarat which brings up another question..... Has anyone take the wildrose road to emigrant all the way to harrisburg and skidoo? I know the road has been techincally closed for a while now. I took the road about three years ago just after the large storm that destroyed the road and we made it to the Kilns just fine but did not travel further towards harrisburg. Anyone travel there recently who can testify to the road conditions?

Again thank you for the great suggestions! I will put most of these in my back pocket for additional campsites in the future. Love this place and all its gems!

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Post by wbdeford » Tue May 10, 2016 9:56 am

Lower Wildrose was in great shape at least until April 25. Even better than last year, since they filled in some of the pot holes near the top.