Nevares Peak panorama video

Discuss and share your favorite photos, techniques, cameras, or anything else related to photography
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Nevares Peak panorama video

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Testing out the new video embedding capabilities... ;-)

Panorama from the summit of Nevares Peak in DVNP, March 3, 2016. Sorry it's a bit shaky:

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Re: Nevares Peak panorama video

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:37 am

Nice!

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Questions about your 360

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:12 am

Candace, I've watched you excellent 360 over and over again picking out new details each time I watch. If/when you have time - my questions:

1. 10 second mark: cool looking white blob in the distance. I don't remember being able to see this from driving along Highway 190. This object looks fascinating enough to encourage me to hike out there and inspect it. Any idea what it is?

2. 26 second mark: I love how the Cottonball Marsh area and salt pan look like a large island on the horizon. The perspective of the three dark brown foothills just east of Highway 190 is really cool. I've yet to get out of my car and spend a few hours roaming about these beauties. Have you ever checked them out close up?

3. 49 second mark: This looks like Echo Canyon and the north slopes of the Funerals? Is that Schwab or Pyramid Peak or both on the horizon?

4. 59 second mark: Winters Peak looks really cool and is now on my bucket list to top some day. Have you or anyone else been on top yet?

5. Earlier this year I parked at Cow Creek and asked about heading up to Nevares spring and the peak but the staff told me no as it is blocked off from the public due to it being their water source area and didn't want any pollution of the area. What route did you take to get there?

Summary: Love the vid and keeping a totally smooth pano shot takes a good tripod which is usually too much bother to tot along on such a hike. The summit looks very rounded and rolling which is fairly common for the parks summits from my experience. The embed seems to work well. What coding/syntax did you use to embed?
Life begins in Death Valley

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:53 pm

Both Andy Zdon's "Desert Summits" and Digonnet's Death Valley guide book have route descriptions for Nevares Peak. Once upon a time you could get there via Nevares Springs, but as you found that's not permitted anymore. Now you have to start from Highway 190, North of Cow Creek.

Here is information about embedding a video:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22712#p71753

As for your other questions, I'll need to review the video on my laptop (bigger screen) so I can come up with good answers!

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:19 pm

As for those three hills that lie east of Hwy 190, I have visited the lower slopes of the middle one. The big old stone meridian marker #33, which you can see on the topo, is visible from the highway. I hiked up to visit it one day:

As for the white blob you mentioned, if you look again in that area you can see other places where there are similar formations. So it's just a lighter colored Rock that happens to be showing up in that area. Of course, for all I know, it could be a very exciting geological formation LOL. But I don't have that depth of knowledge to say.

I'm not sure exactly which is which, but you are probably right about the peaks visible around the 49 second mark.

And yes, I have been on Winters Peak (Echo BM). :smile: Its a fairly easy ascent, if you have a 4WD to get up nearly to Inyo Mine.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 pm

You don't need 4WD to get up Winters but HC is pretty useful. The road is not bad actually in most years. We parked at the junction with the former road to the Schwaub town site. That road doesn't really exist much after the phantom junction, though it does reappear once you get out of the wash some ways in. A longish but scenic ridge walk from there. We came down a much more direct route which is much shorter and obvious, and I'd recommend it. No obstacles going up the wash.

As for Nevares, we once went in to the old Nevares cabin. Inquired at the VC and the ranger there said the road was open to foot traffic if they weren't using the shooting range. He called law enforcement and then told us we were good to go. We drove up to the barrier and walked up to the cabin. Then they started shooting at the range :) We we happy hanging out at the cabin until they stopped, but with a small kid in a backpack we didn't go up the peak that time. Maybe next trip that would be a good thing to do, now that I think of it!

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Kudos to Candace and Geek

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Hey, you two. I sure appreciate your images, links, detailed and specific replies to my questions about the Nevares area. I do hope to explore this area during my next few trips out to the park. If I discover anything really cool, I'll post about it here.
Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:47 pm

I enjoy your posts too, thanks! Always looking for obscure places to wander and you pick some good ones!