On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Anyone been out to Owl Hole Springs lately?

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
netllama
Grubstaker

Anyone been out to Owl Hole Springs lately?

Post by netllama » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm planning a 4 day trip out to the park about a month from now. I'm considering heading out to Owl Hole Springs for some exploration and camping. The official park info includes strong warnings about high clearance 4 wheel drive required and there's at least 1 "Deep Sand" warning sign at the beginning of the road.

However, the most detailed trip report that I've found (from Steve Hall http://www.panamintcity.com/owlshead/ow ... rings.html ) reports fairly easy driving conditions, not requiring four wheel drive at all. I'll be driving my Outback, so I definitely don't want to risk deep sand (got stuck once elsewhere in the park in deep sand).

Has anyone been out there recently to comment on the road conditions? I'm not so concerned about storm damage as the deep sand. I can easily turn back if the road goes to crap, but deep sand can quickly sneak up and then its too late.

thanks!

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:38 am

I was out there three weeks ago and the roads were in fine shape. Didn't have a single issue with sand and didn't need 4x4. When I was there there were even flowers blooming already that far down south!

Officially I drove out to Owl Hole Springs and checked it out for a little bit before driving on to the trailhead for Lost Lake and spending the night there. Hiked to Lost Lake the next morning then drove out to the Crystal Hills trailhead and hiked out to there, before heading up the road to the abandoned radio tower where I spent the night weathering the wind.

It was neat to explore the area finally but the real highlight was Sand Canyon which quickly became one of my all-time favorite hikes in the park. Everything else I listed above was pretty neat, but nothing I'd ever repeat again.

netllama
Grubstaker

Post by netllama » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:01 am

Awesome, thanks for the feedback.