On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

mahogany flat August camping

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Bad Goat
Jayhawker

mahogany flat August camping

Post by Bad Goat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:46 pm

How fast does it cool down at night at mahogany flat in August, and how cool does it get?

We are going to visiting death valley briefly and want to climb telescope peak. If its going to be 80 plus all night we might get more rest by getting and a room and getting up extra early to drive to trail head.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Wind more of a concern than temp

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:17 am

The temp at night should be lovely in August. Hopefully, a storm front won't blow over and blow you and your tents off the flat. LOL

I've been there on five separate occasions and it's been un-crowded each time. I love Telescope and here is what you might see if you're not in a huge hurry.
https://youtu.be/SOn5brERIUE
and
https://youtu.be/90LThuNm0LE
Life begins in Death Valley

Bad Goat
Jayhawker

Post by Bad Goat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks!

Unfortunately we will be in a hurry. We will only have two full days in the park. I want to see telescope peak, and bad water basin at minimum.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Telescope and Badwater in two days

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:30 am

The cool thing about this is the fantastic perspective one views from both the high and low points.

Remember, on a clear day from Telescope you can view Mt Whitney to the west, the highest point in the lower 48 states and Badwater, the lowest point.

You can also see Mount Charleston just north of Las Vegas on a clear day. You'll have a great time in the park!

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Post by wbdeford » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:41 pm

I would expect Mahogany Flat to be roughly 40 degrees cooler than Furnace Creek. So, roughly mid 40s for lows in August, but I would be prepared for anything down to freezing. It does tend to cool off fairly quickly after sundown there.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:30 am

While it gets cool at night during the summer it is rare to be freezing up there. My first trip to DV was high up in the Panamints during Aug and it was hot as hell at night. I don't remember if there was a high pressure system sitting on the area at that time.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:44 pm

ALTITUDE ajustment. Traveling from below sea level to Telecope you are risking aclimation issues, even if you are young and fit. And even if you are staying at Mahogany, it sounds to me that you might be rushing it staying that short of a time to fully aclimate yourself to the altitudes involved.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:17 am

Speaking as one who has suffered from HAPE (High Altitude Pulmonary Edema), lives at sea level, and hence is very concerned about acclimation issues, let me weigh in. Mahogany is at 8K feet. So sudden ascent there (and driving is "sudden") is not much different from folks flying from the coast to Aspen (7900) or Vail (8300) to ski. That leaves many short of breath but few become ill with one night at such altitudes.

Sleeping even for one night does a lot for the shortness of breath, though it's not real acclimation. As you hike to Telescope, you have long stretches with fairly mild grade. It's not a killer hike; it's just long. Steep at the end and at that point nearly everyone is sucking oxygen.

I would be useful to read up on altitude sickness - google HAPE and HACE and if you feel lousy, go back, not higher.

But many people hike Telescope, often having camped much lower, and do fine. A night at Mahogany helps a bunch and if you get an early start you'll have lots of time for the fairly long walk.

Bad Goat
Jayhawker

Post by Bad Goat » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:06 am

I had not thought about the altitude. Its good food for thought. My highest hike to date has been 10,000, with a starting elevation of around 4,000.

Any advice on the road? I see post about sedans being able to make it, and other posting saying you need a high clearance vehicle. I'm planning or renting a "mid-sized suv"

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:48 pm

Depends on current conditions of course, but I've driven several times in normal clearance sedans, and most recently a couple of years ago in a Subaru Crosstrek a couple of times (has somewhat higher clearance). And other sedans at the parking area at the end.

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Post by wbdeford » Mon May 01, 2017 8:24 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:Depends on current conditions of course, but I've driven several times in normal clearance sedans, and most recently a couple of years ago in a Subaru Crosstrek a couple of times (has somewhat higher clearance). And other sedans at the parking area at the end.
It was a little rougher this year than previous years. On my way up April 8, I came across a guy in a smaller Toyota (next size up above Yaris maybe?) and he got stuck.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Hey Bad Goat, alternative return route

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue May 02, 2017 5:10 am

If you have just a bit of extra energy and time consider returning from the summit of Telescope via Bennett Peak transmission service road.

Bennett will be the tallest peak northwest of Telescope. You will actually be hiking around Bennett's east side on your way to Telescoope. So, on your way back just stay to your left (west at the large saddle area between Bennett and Telescopoe) and stroll up to the transmission antennae which is only about a four hundred foot elevation gain.

Enjoy the spectacular view from Bennett back to Telescope and the 360 of the park. Then return down the service road to your carpark at Mahogany which is steady easy grade. This route is a little shorter on mileage than the traditional trail route but not sure by how much.

Bad Goat
Jayhawker

Post by Bad Goat » Tue May 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Thanks again for the great info

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Re: Hey Bad Goat, alternative return route

Post by wbdeford » Tue May 02, 2017 3:36 pm

That would be Rogers. :)
Death Valley Dazed wrote:If you have just a bit of extra energy and time consider returning from the summit of Telescope via Bennett Peak transmission service road.

Bennett will be the tallest peak northwest of Telescope. You will actually be hiking around Bennett's east side on your way to Telescoope. So, on your way back just stay to your left (west at the large saddle area between Bennett and Telescopoe) and stroll up to the transmission antennae which is only about a four hundred foot elevation gain.

Enjoy the spectacular view from Bennett back to Telescope and the 360 of the park. Then return down the service road to your carpark at Mahogany which is steady easy grade. This route is a little shorter on mileage than the traditional trail route but not sure by how much.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Good catch, Rogers it is!

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue May 02, 2017 4:43 pm

That would be Rogers.
I think Bennett is the smaller nob between Rogers and Telescope?