On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Field Trip To A Vertebrate Fossil Locality In The Coso Range

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Inyo
Jayhawker

Field Trip To A Vertebrate Fossil Locality In The Coso Range

Post by Inyo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:44 pm

This subject doesn't strictly pertain to Death Valley, of course--but, it's pretty close, anyhow.

It concerns a field trip to the Coso Mountains, not too far west of Death Valley, proper--in the vicinity of Olancha.

Just recently, over at http://inyo.coffeecup.com/site/coso/cosofieldtrip.html , I uploaded a page called "Field Trip To A Vertebrate Fossil Locality In The Coso Range, California." It's a cyber-visit to the upper Miocene to upper Pliocene Coso Formation in the Coso Mountains--a roughly six to three million year-old geologic rock deposit that yields quite a number of mineralized mammalian remains, including a vole, rabbits, meadow mice, a hyaenoid dog, mastodon, camelids, horses (including the famous Hagerman Horse--named for its spectacular occurrences at Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument, Idaho--one of the earliest examples of the genus Equus, which of course includes all modern horses and equids), a large-headed llama, and a bear.

The Coso Mountains fossil localities presently lie within the Coso Wildnerness--so quite obviously you can no longer drive into the Coso Formation badlands--and you can't keep what you find there without a special BLM permit.

But you can still hike through the geological/paleontological wonderland and take all the photographs you want.

teotwaki
Jayhawker

Post by teotwaki » Wed May 03, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks for the writeup and pictures! For hiking out there should we plan to be out all day? I realize a certain amount of skill and probably luck is needed to locate fossils.

I also saw that you had a lot of other interesting things to read. It will take a while to absorb those.

:cool:
best regards,

Jim
My Adventures: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/