Canyon Hopping Upper Western Panamints

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Canyon Hopping Upper Western Panamints

Post by wbdeford » Mon May 14, 2018 5:54 am

Anyone know a good route from Tuber -> Jail -> Hall? One I mapped out starts at 5500ft in Tuber, hits Jail about the same elevation (just above the choked springs), then hits Hall at about 6200ft. Looks good on satellite images, but hoping to use a known-good route if possible. This would be for next spring, hopefully.

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Re: Canyon Hopping Upper Western Panamints

Post by blackturtle.us » Sun May 20, 2018 11:39 am

Interesting route idea, but it sounds like a lot of up and down and up and down and up and down to me. Is your plan to enter from Hummingbird Spring or from the bottom of Tuber Canyon? Is this a long one-day thing or a over-nighter? Upper Hall Canyon is neat, but hard to get to now that the road has been closed. I have a few pics posted here:
http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/JAIL/ (bottom of the page... note pic of mine at 7194 feet)
I've said it before, but I am very unhappy with the decision to close the road into Hall Canyon.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Canyon Hopping Upper Western Panamints

Post by wbdeford » Sun May 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Nice pics! I always love getting pics of flowers when I can.

Multi-day trip--7-10 days probably. I have been to Hummingbird Spring before, so would likely come down from Arcane Meadows into Tuber Canyon. Current outline is this:

Mahogany Flat
Telescope trail to Arcane Meadows
Down into Tuber Canyon
Over to Jail Canyon
Over to Hall Canyon
Steve Hall's route over to Panamint City
Digonnet's route to Happy Canyon via Wyoming/Hemlock mines
From there, there are pretty clear routes over to Pleasant, Middle Park, South Park to the south end of the crest overlooking Butte Valley and Striped Butte. Major water load up at Colter Spring.
Crest traverse back to Mahogany Flat, with drop to Panamint City from Panamint Pass if necessary to get more water.
Crest traverse over to Wildrose and a little north of Bald to the end of the Panamint crest
Back to Mahogany Flat and out.

Yes, I hiked the Jail/Hall road last year, as shown on your map pic. This would be well above that. I'd like to hit Jail and Birch Springs if I can.