Telescope Pk

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Hillbasher
Jayhawker

Telescope Pk

Post by Hillbasher » Mon May 21, 2018 10:59 am

Am considering spending the night on top of Telescope Pk middle of this week and was wondering if there is any snow left I could use for melting for water. Have sent the night on top three other times and think it is time for another .

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Telescope Pk

Post by wbdeford » Mon May 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Certainly no snow on the peak. Satellite image from 10 days ago showed a little snow on the north face. I'd guess there are still patches here and there. If it were, me, and I were doing an afternoon hike up from Mahogany Flat, and going back in the morning, I'd take 3 or 4 quarts of water.

DVLion
Jayhawker

Post by DVLion » Mon May 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Please post report. Have considered doing this or camping somewhere before the saddle. I've seen evidence of what look like campsites along the trail, but have never researched any trip reports. Permits would not be required for this right?

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon May 21, 2018 4:50 pm

No permits required. Yes, there are some nice campsites along the trail.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:50 pm

Permits are not required, but if I'm leaving my car in a conspicuous place I always leave a note saying what I'm doing and when I mean to be back.

For longer backcountry adventures, I get a backcountry permit you pick up for free at the ranger stations just so they know who's going where and for how long, and where to look if we go unreported.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

DVLion
Jayhawker

Post by DVLion » Fri May 25, 2018 10:30 pm

Did you camp on summit? Would like to know how it felt. Will be up there soon, might try it.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sat May 26, 2018 3:06 am

Have not camped at the summit. I have camped at Arcane Meadows for a lunar eclipse and at a nice spot further along the trail at about 9500 ft. This spot was a great shield from the wind, as dust storms raged in both valleys, and is flat and smooth.

DVLion
Jayhawker

Post by DVLion » Sat May 26, 2018 5:01 am

Hey thanks Brian. I was trying to remember where exactly the wind breaking type spots were. Wind is biggest concern to me. Been up there when its windy...

Isn't there something near the radio tower that's good cover from wind also? Also, when I search for telescope peak weather conditions I assume that data comes from the radio tower right?

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 am

To my knowledge, there is no weather data coming from Rogers Peak. I think the forecasts are done by computer model based on data from other places. Stuff on top of Rogers probably breaks the wind pretty well in spots, also, but I would think you'd prefer a more natural area.

You should have no problem at all finding spots other people have used to get shelter from the wind. I've been up there when the wind has raged at one spot and been a dead calm a short distance away. There are a couple of spots by the peak where people have built wind breakers from rocks that make a big difference.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat May 26, 2018 9:40 am

Hillbasher wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:59 am
Have spent the night on top three other times and think it is time for another .
Wow, three times. I've only spent one overnight on Telescope, June 2016 for the summer full moon solstice. The light up there as the sun and moon course overhead is fantastic. Here's a video of this experience.

Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon May 28, 2018 6:30 pm

I've slept up in Arcane Meadows. It was perfectly still and rather warm when I went to sleep (late October) but really windy in the morning.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue May 29, 2018 10:56 am

Beautiful video, Dazed! :thumb:
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:05 am

The video is indeed quite nice. Note that the full moon is just above the earth's shadow to the west - you can see that well because from the top of Telescope you're looking down to the horizon. If this is June 2016, it would have been the 20th. Full moon was at 4:04 and sunrise about 5:30 so you really got them almost exactly opposite. You see both at once because of refraction of the atmosphere, which actually allows you to "see over" the horizon about one sun diameter. Nice shots!

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:25 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:05 am
from the top of Telescope you're looking down to the horizon.
Thanks for the compliment and the technical details MG. Yes, the full moon solstice was Monday, June 20, 2016. I did not set my alarm and almost slept through it which would have been dumb since that was the point of the whole effort. LOL

I searched the web to see if anyone was simultaneous atop Mount Whitney for the same purpose - nope. Now that was a missed opportunity as the next full moon summer solstice is not for over fifty years.

I was also surprised to have Telescope Peak all to myself that day. I thought that there would have been several other DV devotees up there for this once in a lifetime celebration of nature in all her glory. I was wishing that the whole event would slow down to super slow motion so that I could savor ever sight and second of the light show. In some ways, the summer haze added to the light spectrums but I'd prefer crystal clear air instead.
Life begins in Death Valley

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:12 pm

wbdeford wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:04 pm
... Satellite image from 10 days ago showed a little snow on the north face....
OT... Where do you get current images like that?