Lippincott Rd

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
4x4 Explore
Jayhawker

Lippincott Rd

Post by 4x4 Explore » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:43 pm

Im getting mixed reviews...

Will a 4x4 Suburban 2500 make it through?

I've seen pics of full size trucks supposedly on the trail and I've been told a 4dr wrangler barely fits. Which is it???

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Lippincott Rd

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:38 pm

Tight in one spot where the road is sloughing away in the bottom half. Possible two point turns in the switchbacks. A spotter helps.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:36 am

What kind of answer are you really looking for? A report you could quote saying after rolling it down the hill " They Said It Was Safe". There are numerous videos showing trips up and down the road. I use to drive a 3/4 ton Suburban with lift,4wd,and desert pinstripes and I am pretty sure with a spotter worth their salt I would drive up it. Do you have steps on the side that maybe will catch a rock and rip off and tear up the side of the truck? You still made the trip but you lost a step and some paint, you good with that? Or do you have real rock rails you can drag along a rock to pivot around a tight narrow turn? Do you have the skill to back up a 1/2 mile (or more) around corners to a place to turn around if you feel you can't make it. Maybe a vehicle coming the opposite direction will require you to back up that distance. You capable of those situations?

4x4 Explore
Jayhawker

Post by 4x4 Explore » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks. I couldn't tell if any of the videos were of the full road. I kept hearing its tight but never saw anything that worried me.
I have a ton of offroad experience. Years of rock crawling, trails, etc. I even work in the industry.
Last 2 years have been more about xploring though. I have yet to do Lippencott and I know my current rig will walk right through it. With a new dog added to the pack my jeep is getting small so Im looking at options. I know I could get through Goler with it if I wanted to but I didn't want to paint myself into a corner by eliminating Lipp from my map.

4x4 Explore
Jayhawker

Post by 4x4 Explore » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:42 pm

Oh, and I can parallel park a 53 footer if that helps.

fatherdaddy
Jayhawker

Post by fatherdaddy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:07 pm

I made it in a stock Ram 3500 4wd with a full length rack on 8/24/18. We had some work at Furnace Creek and took a little side trip to the Racetrack. My lack of research said that it would be no problem. It turned out alright, but it was tight. However, I had no previous experience driving roads like that, or even driving in 4wd. Anyone with half a brain to use proper equipment should have no problem, when it's dry.