Copper Canyon Closure

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
John Morrow
Jayhawker

Copper Canyon Closure

Post by John Morrow » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:22 am

Does anyone know of an actual map showing the boundary of the Copper Canyon Closure? With Sheep Canyon being the only non technical canyon route through the Black Mountains I am wondering if a partial descent through Copper Canyon to a ridge finish may make a nice backpack loop.
Thanks,
John

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Re: Copper Canyon Closure

Post by Gowergulch42 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:39 pm

As far as my understanding from probing this very question goes, the Copper Canyon drainage is off limits. Unless you can prove that you were not in the protected area (which is impossible, and you will be searched and your pictures will be gone through) then it's not an option. Any vehicle parked at the foot of Copper will have a ranger waiting for the owner's return.

If you need to know an exact boundary, call the Rangers, email their info line, ask on Facebook, and you'l get a much better answer than mine.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Re: Copper Canyon Closure

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:33 pm

From the 2016 Superintendent's Compendium:

"Copper Canyon: The area from the mouth of the canyon, following the highest ridgelines above the canyon floor, as shown in the attached map (Appendix D) is closed to the public. A permit is required to enter this area unless accompanied on a ranger led tour."

The referenced map (Appendix D) is available upon request. Perhaps you can get it by emailing deva_information@nps.gov

https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/manageme ... ations.htm