Coyote melons in Australia? Cockatoos like to eat them!

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Coyote melons in Australia? Cockatoos like to eat them!

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:31 pm

During both my 2008 and 2018 treks through Australia, I came across what look to me just like the coyote melons that I see here at home. I usually spotted them growing along the road. Or as in one of the pics below, along a railroad track. I saw them in scattered places in the outback regions of southern Australia.

This time around, I found that at least one bird likes to eat them! While driving from Hawker to Wilpena Pound in the Ikara-Flinders Ranges National Park, I spotted some Little Corella cockatoos in a tree near the road. I stopped to watch them, and saw they were eating something. I soon realized they were chowing down on very ripe coyote melons! There was a vine on the ground near the tree they were in.

(The last pic shows some of the same species of birds, photographed in a different place, but still eating these melons!)

I'm curious if the "down under" melons are something different, even though they look the same? Or is it yet another introduced species in Australia? They seem to have a lot of those, both flora and fauna.

Last edited by Candace_66 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

netllama
Grubstaker

Re: Coyote melons in Australia? Cockatoos like to eat them!

Post by netllama » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Wow, those are some gorgeous photos. I saw a ton of these things in Western Australia, just as you described. They were mostly in the temperate region about halfway between Perth & Broome.