Panamint Butte Fatality in DV

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:44 am

Life begins in Death Valley

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Re: Panamint Butte Fatality in DV

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Some more details here:

"At approximately 9:45am, the aerial search team located personal items including a backpack, empty water bottles and printed information referencing hiking Panamint Butte, which is about one mile east of the vehicle on the slopes of Panamint Butte. [I interpret this to mean that the items were found on the slopes of the Butte.]
Shortly after noon, the aerial search team located more personal items about 2000 feet southwest of the backpack. While circling those items, they also located the missing hiker’s body in a wash about 500 feet southeast of the items."

https://www.sierrawave.net/man-dies-aft ... th-valley/

Panamint Butte is one of the few named DVNP summits still on my to-do list. But I've long thought I didn't want to climb this nasty route (up from the Big Four Mine).

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Possible route of fatality

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:01 pm

I too have contemplated this route and found an older YouTube capturing a successful group summiting the butte. BTW, I stuck my head into that mine, tried to walk in a bit but the air was so foul I hightailed it right back out. This was about five years ago before I started doing videos and when I hiked out and back to the Panamint Dunes. I'm jonesing to return for a redux.

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:46 pm

I poked around the canyon above the Big Four Mine back in 2006. The terrain was steep and when I climbed out of the canyon I recall the surface of the ground having extremely poor traction. I didn't even consider using that route to get to Panamint Butte. Getting up would be difficult, but the way down would be treacherous. I hate downhill as it is, but with poor traction, there's no way!

View looking down canyon about three-quarters of a mile above Big Four Mine.
MORE PICS FROM MAY 2006: http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/LAKEHILL/index.html#may06

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:46 pm

I found it hairy enough just visiting the various mine structures in that area. In particular the Big Four Mine. While there I was looking around wondering where the route started. I thought it was close to the mine opening?

Anyway, the stats alone reveal how steep that route is. I think the only route I would attempt would be via Lemoigne Canyon. I've already been out to Towne Peak twice, I'm not interested in going that way.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:10 am

There certainly are some scenic views of the northern end of Panamint Valley if you follow the easy walk past the mine and then when things are getting tough exit up to the south to some nice easy ridge walking. But it looked pretty hairy going up that way, and I wasn't even thinking of it. The route from Towne Pass is straightforward but oh so long. I'm not expecting to get up Panamint Butte I guess. Either from Towne or up Lemoigne is just beyond my day hike range these days.

John Morrow
Jayhawker

Post by John Morrow » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Candace_66 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Panamint Butte is one of the few named DVNP summits still on my to-do list. But I've long thought I didn't want to climb this nasty route (up from the Big Four Mine).
Though it requires an overnight, I found the N Fk Lemoigne Canyon a very scenic route to a big j-tree head below the Butte. Or drive all the way to upper Cottonwood Trailhead and head in that way, which is the way we accessed it, descending N Fk Lemoigne the next day. Views from the top were impressive of the Dunes, valley, and all teh way to Whitney.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:52 am

John Morrow wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:45 pm
Views from the top were impressive of the Dunes, valley, and all the way to Whitney.
Thanks for sharing your lovely morning image from the butte looking west. Do you happen to have an image from the same point of view but more of a northwestern angle capturing the Panamint Dunes in the soft morning light and shadows? Or maybe of the Hunter Mountain area from the butte?

John Morrow
Jayhawker

Post by John Morrow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:17 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:52 am
John Morrow wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:45 pm
Views from the top were impressive of the Dunes, valley, and all the way to Whitney.
Thanks for sharing your lovely morning image from the butte looking west. Do you happen to have an image from the same point of view but more of a northwestern angle capturing the Panamint Dunes in the soft morning light and shadows? Or maybe of the Hunter Mountain area from the butte?

sort of soft and washed out as taken with just a cheap canon point and shoot. I appreciate the interest, though, DVD!

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Updated photo of Panamint Dunes

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:33 pm

John,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your image of the Panamint Dunes from high atop the butte. This is just what I was hoping to see because I love to see the ridge lines of the various mountain ranges. I took the liberty of Photoshopping your image a bit to bring out the contrast and color. The Sierras, the Inyos and Lee Flat set the stage. I'm not sure if that is Cerro Gordo Peak or Mount Inyo fronting the Sierras and Mount Whitney above Lee Flat?

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:17 pm

I believe it is Cerro Gordo Peak, the smaller, conical looking mountain.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.