Stargazing with a telescope

Death Valley related discussion
vipinpsharma
Jayhawker

Stargazing with a telescope

Post by vipinpsharma » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:25 am

Hello all;

I plan to bring my 10" dobsonian telescope to death valley this weekend (Aug 11/12 nights). What are one of the best locations in the valley to view the sky? I am Ok to travel to higher elevations if need be.

Please free to join me if any of you happen to be around the area and wanted to peek through a large telescope.

Thanks,
Vipin

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Re: Stargazing with a telescope

Post by kwalsh » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:24 pm

vipinpsharma wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:25 am
Hello all;

I plan to bring my 10" dobsonian telescope to death valley this weekend (Aug 11/12 nights). What are one of the best locations in the valley to view the sky? I am Ok to travel to higher elevations if need be.

Please free to join me if any of you happen to be around the area and wanted to peek through a large telescope.

Thanks,
Vipin
Higher elevation almost always results in better seeing. Less turbulent air to get through.

Wildrose is one of the highest campgrounds with easy road access but it is in a canyon so you can’t look towards southern targets very well. Mahogany Flat is the very highest but requires high clearance and possibly 4WD to get to.

The temperature gradient is extreme and large mirrors will never cool fast enough on their own to avoid mirror currents so it is best if you have a fan on the mirror.

Have fun, the skies are awesome out there!

vipinpsharma
Jayhawker

Post by vipinpsharma » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Great, thank you for the recommendation.

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:53 am

Try Dante's View. You can drive a paved road to 5475 feet above sea level. There are good sky views in all directions.

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Post by kwalsh » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:56 pm

TrailHound wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:53 am
Try Dante's View. You can drive a paved road to 5475 feet above sea level. There are good sky views in all directions.
Yep, if you aren't planning on camping at your observing site this is a great spot.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:52 pm

I’ve seen some amazing night sky shots from Bonnie Clair dry lake, just inside Nevada east of Scotty’s Castle.

A note, the farther south you go in the park, the more light polution you get from Las Vegas.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

What about Lee Flat

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:41 pm

Lee Flat a few miles north of Highway 190 might be good unless there is some light pollution from Lone Pine or Bishop?
Life begins in Death Valley

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: What about Lee Flat

Post by D.A. Wright » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:11 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:41 pm
Lee Flat a few miles north of Highway 190 might be good unless there is some light pollution from Lone Pine or Bishop?
Lone Pine and Bishop, no. But there might be some glow on the southern skyline in long exposure shots; this due to Ridgecrest, the southern Mojave cities (the Victor Valley, Palmdale/Lancaster) and the continuous urban complexes south of the Traverse ranges (San Gabriel/San Bernardino ranges).
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

TonyG
Jayhawker

Post by TonyG » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:22 am

Any pictures of the sky to share from your expedition?