B2T2B, R2R2R, and Surprise Canyon comparsions

Death Valley related discussion
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

B2T2B, R2R2R, and Surprise Canyon comparsions

Post by wbdeford » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Getting started with the comparison write-up of three major backpacking trips (major as judging by my abilities and/or lack thereof). One major reason I am doing this is so that when I am too old to do this sort of thing, I will be able to look back on this and it will help me remember the adventures.

Here is a high level overview of the three hikes, including a photograph, a satellite image, and a topo map of each, followed by a comparison chart (which will probably change as I :

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 7795aa5d89

Feel free to weigh-in with your own opinions and experiences, and also if I got the data wrong, please correct!

I will add more later via comments on this post.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Re: B2T2B, R2R2R, and Surprise Canyon comparsions

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:54 am

wbdeford wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:40 pm
One major reason I am doing this is so that when I am too old to do this sort of thing, I will be able to look back on this and it will help me remember the adventures.
My sentiments exactly and having discovered Death Valley late in life I feel an urgency to get out and about now while I can.

I won't be able to dive deep into your exciting write-ups and photos until October. I'll post my reactions to your body of work then. Thanks in advance for taking the time and trouble to post here!
Life begins in Death Valley

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:54 am
I won't be able to dive deep into your exciting write-ups and photos until October.
This will probably be a very slow process as I get time, and then will have to compete with my planning of future trips, which include:

1) A day hike extravaganza, hoping to do Charleston, White Mountain, Whitney, as day hikes
2) Panamint crest traverse, from near Striped Butte, to Bald Peak
3) Off-corridor Grand Canyon hikes.

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:07 pm

I've done Charleston, Whitney, and White as dayhikes. Whitney would be the only one that would be difficult for me currently at age 57. I could do it, but it would be a bit beyond my comfort zone. A couple of years ago I did Langley as an over-nighter. Again that's one that could be done as a dayhike, but it's outside my comfort zone. Although I've not done a rim to rim at the Grand Canyon, I think the special feature to consider there is heat. BTW, although I did Charleston and Whitney (three times) before I started making videos, I do have a video from White Mountain. It features one of my short, annoying songs and it's cornier than most of my videos:

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:39 am

Nice video! I had an encounter with a lone, elderly female bighorn in the Grand Canyon. She was just coming up the trail toward me. She stopped briefly to look at me, then casually passed on by just a few feet from me, completely unafraid. The first picture I got of her has her sticking her tongue out at me. I liked it so much I made it my new FB profile pic :)

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Interesting comparison! I was interested to hear that you found them pretty similar in effort, though I predicted that you'd find the GC hiking easier because of the prevalence of trails. I'm paying more attention to this because I find as I age my ability to move fast off trail (at least in rocky terrain) is diminished, as my knees are going and I try to walk very carefully to avoid nasty pain out there. I also find that I no longer have much advantage of speed on descent, because I'm watching my feet so carefully, except I can really fly downhill on nice dirt trails. In fact if I am going in and out on a trail, I'm mentally classifying the trail on the way in, thinking about what it will feel like on the descent, so I can time my turnaround point appropriately.

I've never really been tempted by a R2R or whatever in Grand Canyon because the trails are too busy for my taste. Oh I've used them to get into more back country places, and I've used them as day hikes in and out, but I shun crowds. Man those trails are like highways though, almost with banked turns :) And with the water available, you can really lighten your pack.

Anyway, building memories is good stuff. Some say that happiness later in life is most strongly correlated with having built good memories while younger. Well I'm still trying to build some good ones for myself :)

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:07 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:25 pm
Interesting comparison! I was interested to hear that you found them pretty similar in effort, though I predicted that you'd find the GC hiking easier because of the prevalence of trails.
I've been thinking more about this question. Generally, while hiking uphill, I tend to go whatever speed is drawing a given amount of energy. Consequently, I was going faster up the GC trails than I was up the much steeper crossy country slopes up the Panamints, making them feel more equal than they really were. Further, I was more cognizant of keeping my speed down and reminding myself, "it's not a race" in the Panamints than in the GC--precisely because of the difficulty of the DV hike, and it not seeming to be as necessary in the GC.