Park Closure

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
TrailHound
Grubstaker

Re: Park Closure

Post by TrailHound » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:07 pm

The news claims piles of trash and illegal off-roading at Joshua Tree. Also, tourists are supposedly pooping beside the road in Yosemite. However, I have not seen pictures or other actual evidence. No one is saying if it is confined to a particular area or widespread. It's all vague right now.

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:59 am

This morning's L.A. Times has a story. Joshua Tree had a large influx of New Year's partiers who left piles of trash. Volunteers are overwhelmed trying to haul it out. No one is pumping out the vault toilets. So, the campgrounds are closed. JT is now open for day use only. Xanterra is cleaning and stocking the restrooms at some of the popular DV sites, but are they also pumping out the toilet tanks? If not, then they will have to close sooner or later.

Who knew that America could be made so great.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:57 am

Do the vault toilets really fill up this quickly?
TrailHound wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:59 am
This morning's L.A. Times has a story. Joshua Tree had a large influx of New Year's partiers who left piles of trash. Volunteers are overwhelmed trying to haul it out. No one is pumping out the vault toilets. So, the campgrounds are closed. JT is now open for day use only. Xanterra is cleaning and stocking the restrooms at some of the popular DV sites, but are they also pumping out the toilet tanks? If not, then they will have to close sooner or later.

Who knew that America could be made so great.

joez3
Jayhawker

Post by joez3 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:56 am

Just an update on my trip. I spent several nights at eureka dunes and lee flats between 12/26 and 1/2. The restroom at eureka dunes was in bad shape, not sure if the thing was ever pumped out. I could not tell that the park was closed. I did not go into death valley so I don't know what that is like.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Joshua Tree is closing completely tomorrow. Now it is used a lot more than Death Valley. We were there this time last year and figured you could compare visitation by the number of vault toilets at each park - many more in Joshua Tree. The park was open despite that government shutdown, and indeed we met people hiking with their dogs.

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:30 pm

The story changes by the hour. From internet news sites
But while the Los Angeles Times initially reported the park would likely remain closed for the duration of the shutdown, officials have since walked that back and are now saying they expect it to reopen by the end of the week—and they say it may not actually close at all, depending on how quickly cleanup takes place./quote]

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:13 pm

The longer this stretches on the more I wish that they'd just shut the Parks down completely and focus on making sure everything stays undamaged. Relying on volunteers to clean up after Park visitors that can't be bothered to take care of their own sh!t (literally) isn't reasonable. The backlog of wear and tear clean up when the shutdown does end is going to be a total PITA. I don't think that's a fair burden to put on the fine employees of the National Park Service who already get questionable support from our government.

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:28 pm

I have a friend who works for the park service at the Grand Canyon. His job is fully funded through the shut down since his job is considered essential. However, interestingly, he told me that the state of AZ keeps the park open through the duration of shut downs because it makes a big difference to their economy if the park is closed. I don't know if they fully fund everything, but it makes a lot of sense that they would see an advantage to keep that park open. Probably DVNP and JTNP don't have that kind of economic impact on CA, but it's funny how much more proactive AZ is than CA on this issue... not that CA is run by a bunch of morons or anything...
:wink:

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:35 am

They would have to shut down some state highways to close DVNP. And that would also trap some people who live there (or keep them from getting home if they are elsewhere).

Older Fossil
Grubstaker

Post by Older Fossil » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 am

We've been in DVNP for the past five days, staying at the Stovepipe Wells RV park. When we first came in, Sunset CG and Texas Spring CG were open and the vistor's enter was operating under a donation from the Death Valley Natural History Association. Since then things have slowly been getting closed. All of the NPS CGs have now been closed, except Stove Pipe Wells which is being maintained by the concessionaire. In the last couple of days Mustard Canyon and Harmony Borax Works have been closed. Yesterday they closed the Mesquite Dunes parking lot. Yesterday Titus was still open, so we did that run, but it would not surprise me if it gets closed soon. The visitor center funding was only up until today, so I don't know if that will stay open. All of the private and concession run facilities are still operating. We plan on running over to PSR today for lunch.

Art

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:32 am

Thanks for the update. Sounds like things are sorting themselves out as they must. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:14 pm

Thank you for the information, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your visit to DV and Panamint Valley!
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Older Fossil wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 am
... the visitor's enter was operating under a donation from the Death Valley Natural History Association.
Thanks Art. David Blacker of DVNHA said today in a video that the VC will remain open through January due to his wonderful organization keeping it afloat.

Glad that you're enjoying your stay. I'm planning on being the park around the full lunar eclipse Jan 21st.
Life begins in Death Valley

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 pm

The dirt roads can be closed because they belong to the Park Service. The paved roads cannot be closed because they are state roads. They were not closed during any of the previous shutdowns. Does anybody really think that current government of California will close state roads?

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:40 pm

TrailHound wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 pm
The dirt roads can be closed because they belong to the Park Service. The paved roads cannot be closed because they are state roads. They were not closed during any of the previous shutdowns. Does anybody really think that current government of California will close state roads?
Aren't even some of the dirt roads maintained by the state, such as Saline Valley Rd?