Camping in Panamint Valley/along Wildrose Road January 2nd?

Death Valley related discussion
hisdudeness48
Jayhawker

Camping in Panamint Valley/along Wildrose Road January 2nd?

Post by hisdudeness48 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:39 pm

Hey there, I'm looking for a place to throw up a tent the night before climbing Rogers Peak on January 3rd. With the government shutdown, I'm a little confused by what's available. Is the Wildrose campground still open on a first come/first served basis? If not, any recommendations for dispersed camping down in Panamint Valley or along Wildrose Road? I suppose Emigrant and Panamint Springs can be backup options, but I'd prefer to be along Wildrose Road or dispersed camping down in Panamint Valley around Ballarat. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Re: Camping in Panamint Valley/along Wildrose Road January 2nd?

Post by JesPortland » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi,

All campgrounds are open. Have you been to the park webpage?

Yeah camp at Wildrose or even further up at the other two campgrounds? Brrr...

Have you seen this?

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/backcamp.htm

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:45 pm

Current report (which may not be updated because of the shutdown) says that the road is closed beyond the Kilns, so if you want to camp at Thorndike or Mahogany Flat, you have a long walk up from the Kilns. Or, you can hike one mile away from Emigrant Canyon Road, or one mile away from Wildrose Road.

hisdudeness48
Jayhawker

Post by hisdudeness48 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:47 pm

wbdeford wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:45 pm
Current report (which may not be updated because of the shutdown) says that the road is closed beyond the Kilns, so if you want to camp at Thorndike or Mahogany Flat, you have a long walk up from the Kilns. Or, you can hike one mile away from Emigrant Canyon Road, or one mile away from Wildrose Road.
Yep, we plan on making the climb from the Kilns. It appears as if Wildrose Campground is good to go, so I'll probably give that a shot.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:53 pm

You probably know this already but you can make a nice loop over Rogers Peak. Of course you can take the Telescope Peak trail and hop up Rogers at Arcane Meadows, and then down the access road. But from Rogers it is nicer to just head down the ridge to the east. Halfway down you'll hit the road at a big hairpin turn. You can also continue down the ridge till you hit Mahogany Flat, going through some trees at the end.

hisdudeness48
Jayhawker

Post by hisdudeness48 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:24 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:53 pm
You probably know this already but you can make a nice loop over Rogers Peak. Of course you can take the Telescope Peak trail and hop up Rogers at Arcane Meadows, and then down the access road. But from Rogers it is nicer to just head down the ridge to the east. Halfway down you'll hit the road at a big hairpin turn. You can also continue down the ridge till you hit Mahogany Flat, going through some trees at the end.
Just to clarify, you prefer to go UP the Telescope Peak Trail and summit Rogers from Arcane Meadows? I hadn't even thought of that...

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:46 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:53 pm
Yes, I have been on Rogers twice--both from Arcane Meadows. The first time, I came back down to Arcane Meadows and continued the Telescope trail. The second time, I went down to pt 9485 north of Rogers, and then took the service road back to Mahogany Flat (there is an uncommonly seen view of the kilns along there).

For this trip, yes, I plan to do the ridge down from Rogers to Mahogany Flat as part of the northbound crest traverse. Planning to go up and over Bennett northbound, also, which I did once before southbound. I want to stay as close to the crest as reasonably possible from the south end above Striped Butte to just north of pt 7725 just north of Bald. Some deviations will be necessary, of course, especially around the cliffs just north of Panamint Pass.