The Park may be getting bigger

Death Valley related discussion
bbb
Breyfogler

The Park may be getting bigger

Post by bbb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:41 pm

The U.S. Senate just passed the Natural Resources Management Act by a 92 to 8, largely bipartisan vote. It would grow several wilderness areas and make Death Valley larger. I don't know when the House plans to vote on it.

You can read the bill here: https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/s47/ ... s47pcs.pdf

Here's a map with some of the areas in the bill: https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public ... scenic.pdf

Designated wildernesses:
  • Approximately 11,496 acres, as generally depicted on 17 the map entitled ‘‘Death Valley National Park Proposed Wilderness Area-North Eureka Valley’
  • 23,650 acres, as generally depicted on the map entitled ‘‘Death Valley National Park Proposed Wilderness Area-Ibex’’, numbered 143/100,081D
  • 4,807 acres, as generally depicted on the map entitled ‘‘Death Valley National Park Proposed Wilderness Area-Panamint Valley’’, numbered 143/6 100,083D
  • 10,485 acres, as generally depicted on the map entitled ‘‘Death Valley National Park Proposed Wilderness Area-Warm Spring Canyon/Galena Canyon’’, 12 numbered 143/100,084D
  • 8,638 acres, as generally depicted on the map entitled ‘‘Death Valley National Park Proposed Wilderness Area-Axe Head’’, numbered 143/100,085D
  • 28,923 acres, as generally depicted on the map entitled ‘‘Death Valley National Park Proposed Wilderness Area-Bowling Alley’’, numbered 43/128,606A
New boundary to include:
  • The "Bowling Alley" area along the southern border
  • Crater Area in the north
There's also some bits in the bill about Surprise Canyon being designated as a wild river for parts and recreational river for another part.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Great news on the expansion

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:58 am

So good to see reps and dems holding hands for a change. Let's hope the bill passes.

Now for my bad news. The park is already too expansive which means I have a Telescope Peak Snowball's chance in Hades Canyon of exploring even half of the existing Death Valley before I croak like a Surprise Canyon Gree Tree Frog.
With the expansion, there is even more that I won't get to enjoy. Oh well, it's a sweet problem to have to grapple, stumble, trod and poke around with. :bounce:
Life begins in Death Valley

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Great news on the expansion

Post by wbdeford » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:13 pm

It's a microcosm of the whole world....way too much to ever see or do everything, so you have to narrow your focus. Some want to know a little about as many things as possible. Some want to know everything about something. Most of us are somewhere in between, with a few things we want to know tons about and then get a little knowledge of a reasonable set of other things. DVNP is one of my few things to know tons about, but even within that context, I have to have a few DVNP things to know a lot about, and only a little about the rest.
Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:58 am
So good to see reps and dems holding hands for a change. Let's hope the bill passes.

Now for my bad news. The park is already too expansive which means I have a Telescope Peak Snowball's chance in Hades Canyon of exploring even half of the existing Death Valley before I croak like a Surprise Canyon Gree Tree Frog.
With the expansion, there is even more that I won't get to enjoy. Oh well, it's a sweet problem to have to grapple, stumble, trod and poke around with. :bounce:

Morrie
Grubstaker

Re: The Park may be getting bigger

Post by Morrie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Having been to most of those new wilderness areas, I don't see it affecting much the ability to explore there, providing they keep existing roads open.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 pm

Wow, this stuff was proposed years ago! In fact, I had recently wondered what happened to it. Guess it's not dead yet.

Grzldvt
Breyfogler

Re: Great news on the expansion

Post by Grzldvt » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:30 am

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:58 am

Well, you need to zero in on specific goals. Is the park huge, you bet, but based on what I see here and my own research, I will never be a Steve Hall, but go see what is important to me

bbb
Breyfogler

Post by bbb » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:05 pm

A couple of odds and ends in the bill:

SEC. 604. MORMON PEAK MICROWAVE FACILITY - The designation of the Death Valley National Park Wilderness by section 601(a)(1) shall not preclude the operation and maintenance of the Mormon Peak Microwave Facility.

I don't know anything about the Mormon Peak Microwave Facility but I'm guessing it's getting official recognition at this point.

On Surprise Canyon...

(A) IN GENERAL.—The following segments of Surprise Canyon Creek in the State of California, to be administered by the Secretary of the Interior: (i) The approximately 5.3 miles of Surprise Canyon Creek from the confluence of Frenchman’s Canyon and Water Canyon to 100 feet upstream of Chris Wicht Camp, as a wild river. (ii) The approximately 1.8 miles of Surprise Canyon Creek from 100 feet upstream of Chris Wicht Camp to the southern boundary of sec. 14, T. 21 S., R. 44 E., as a recreational river.

Not sure as to the distinction between wild river and recreational river, since I think they both carry the same protections.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:36 pm

Perhaps a question as to whether it runs through wilderness or not?
Just a guess.

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:01 pm

And in other news about increasing the size of the park, The Trust for Public Land listed in their recent printed newsletter 2019 priority projects.

"The Rio Tinto-Death Valley property is the largest privately owned inholding in Death Valley National Park (DVNP) and one of the largest inholdings in all of the National Park Services' western units. It is also the viewshed of the park's Zabriskie Point, a popular overlook showcasing the area's geologic wonders and kaleidoscope of colors. The Trust for Public land is working with the landwoner-a subsidiary of one of the world's lergest mining companies-to purchase the land so that it can be protected and enjoyed as part of DVNP for generations to come."

The article also reports "Status: Purchase Pending"

https://www.tpl.org

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:00 pm

Oh, that would be very very nice!

johnc
Grubstaker

Post by johnc » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:02 pm

On the Surprise Canyon river designations. They may be trying to put another nail in the coffin for closing the road to Panamint City.

MichaelEGordon
Jayhawker

Post by MichaelEGordon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:23 am

johnc wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:02 pm
They may be trying to put another nail in the coffin for closing the road to Panamint City.
The “road” to Panamint City was destroyed long ago. Desert weather is the nail you describe. But good news: it’s a beautiful and quiet wild walk.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:59 am

Yes, it is a nice, peaceful walk. Try convincing that to owners of property and patented mines up there. Since the creation and expansion of the Park to include Panamint City, I assume they lost their properties and rights; and have to continue paying their property taxes for “their” holdings.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.