Disappearing History

of Death Valley and vicinity
Older Fossil
Grubstaker

Disappearing History

Post by Older Fossil » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:53 pm

I was looking through some older images and realized that a couple of these structures are now gone. I was glad we visited them while they still stood. Feel free to add other images to this thread.

Burro Schmitt's Cabin

Barker Ranch

Art

Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: Disappearing History

Post by Kauri » Mon May 06, 2019 2:05 pm

A piece of history I've wondered about is whatever happened to the mining equipment that was in some of the mining tunnels at 20 mule team canyon long ago. Does anyone know if the NPS remove it before they blocked (dynamited?) the entrances to the tunnels? Unfortunately I don't have any photos of these old relics (I wish I had some photos to add to this "disappearing history" thread).
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Tue May 07, 2019 4:42 am

I was surprised how fast the the site of Garlock faded to nothing from the time I was a kid. Location next to a paved road did not help.
Last edited by Sparky of SoCal on Wed May 08, 2019 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:06 am

Kauri wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:05 pm
A piece of history I've wondered about is whatever happened to the mining equipment that was in some of the mining tunnels at 20 mule team canyon long ago. Does anyone know if the NPS remove it before they blocked (dynamited?) the entrances to the tunnels? Unfortunately I don't have any photos of these old relics (I wish I had some photos to add to this "disappearing history" thread).
These tunnels were broken down with pry bars and picks, and others closer to the canyon bottom were brought down with a bulldozer, the tracks of which can still be seen in some parts even almost 8 years later. The first time I hiked Gower Gulch (2011, I think?), they had only recently taken the bulldozer down the canyon bottom (in a wilderness area, no less) and scraped down all the tunnels near the trail, leaving deep ruts in the gravel and huge scrapes on the canyon walls. Horrible.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Nothing left but foundations and tank bottoms of the ghost town of Bush and the Dale Mining District located northeast of Joshua Tree National Park. Photos from the 1970s and 1980s...

https://www.overlandphotography.org/Moj ... -District/

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri May 24, 2019 6:37 pm

Just noticed this. Yes about the tracks in the Gower (is that what it is called up there?) entrance to 20 Mule Team. When I saw those (similar time frame to our own Gower) I reported them to the VC, but they told me that the dozer had been run by the claim owners with permission (perhaps under pressure) from the NPS to close the mine entrances. Is it really wilderness? I doubt it as it's within 1/4 mile of the 20 Mule Team graded road.

Interestingly, back then the final passageway from the 20 Mule Team drainage into the Corkscrew drainage (which would otherwise require the water to flow all the way over to 190) was very small. When I was there a few months ago, it looked like maybe 30-40% of the Corkscrew flow would now go down that way. Which would explain why 20 Mule Team seems to get wiped out and closed with every storm.