Travel beyond end of Keane tramway

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Travel beyond end of Keane tramway

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:34 am

There was a pretty clear old mine trail that goes up from the Keane Wonder mines, all the way to Chloride Cliffs. It runs rather near some of the collapsing or questionable mine entrances that were closed off. I have not been there since the area was re-opened. I wonder, has anyone been up there who noticed the status of this trail, or even gone on up beyond the mines? From the tramway head, I recall going up and to the left to skirt the entrances of the mines, then up a short bit before the trail turns right and heads up the obvious route toward Chloride. Thanks for any tips. Thinking of revisiting the area as it's been some time since I've been there, with the closure and all.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Travel beyond end of Keane tramway

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:03 am

If I remember right, Death Valley Dazed posted quite an extensive thread on the area above the mill and mine, with lots of photos and video. He posted after he attended the Keane Wonder reopening ceremonies.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Yes, I recall that thread. Searching for "keane wonder" leads to a lot of matches here. I don't know if I'll find the answer looking at a video - I do recall a video DV Dazed posted of the actual talks at the opening ceremonies, and may have asked my question back then. But I'm getting old and my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

There was a time when that trail was marked with "danger" or "do not enter" or something. I haven't been there in years but now that the mine is open, I was thinking of going there next week.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:10 am

I don't usually take time to watch videos, but do recall quite a few photos. It seems I recall he got up pretty close to the Big Bell Mine.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:34 am

To update my own request... Yes you can travel beyond the Keane mines and up on the old trail to Big Bell. The trail is clear. There's been work up there - they blasted to close the entrances to the topmost row of mines with quite large rocks and put in a chain link fence - which you can see on the sat images. To follow the path you pass an old sign which is quite weathered and was clearly meant to prohibit two things, but you can no longer see what they were. As far as I was concerned, if the area beyond was really closed, this sign would have been replaced as part of the mine stabilization and safety project.

The trail is fine. It is stable and there is no exposure. There was no attempt made to eradicate it.

We did a nice loop going back by the Big Bell Extension mine and the Cyty Mill site, but I don't advise this without map / GPS as the route is a just a bit hard to follow at the place where it meets the main trail up to Big Bell and Chloride.