Emigrant, Wildrose, South Park, and Warm Springs Roads

Death Valley related discussion
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Emigrant, Wildrose, South Park, and Warm Springs Roads

Post by wbdeford » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:22 pm

Perhaps in part because I pestered them for updates ( :) ) the park service updated the road status to reflect that Emigrant Canyon and Wildrose roads are closed for quite a while, which means I am unlikely to be able to drive anywhere near Mahogany Flat on my May trip. So, I am considering entering the Panamints from the south end.

Comparing Warm Springs Canyon Road beyond the camp, with South Park canyon:

How far do you think is reasonable to go on these two roads in a rental SUV?

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Re: Emigrant, Wildrose, South Park, and Warm Springs Roads

Post by JesPortland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:02 pm

When we were in the park last week of March I was posting to their FB page a lot with updates/questions as you were too. They have listed this closed for quite awhile but not as specific as they are now!

Rental SUV to the Warm Springs houses with the pool? Yeah, that would be fine. The road was pretty good this last trip. I haven't been past that in many years and it was real rough when I did 2012 to Stripped Butte.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Yeah, I've been to the pool....was hoping I could reasonably go farther.

Real rough in what sense? Just not pleasant, or would such a vehicle likely not have enough clearance etc?

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:32 pm

I last did it in a 2003 Tundra RWD. Often each wheel was at an different angle/height. Going 5 mph? And of course further up was slipping in the sandy road conditions. I think you need some advice from one who's been there more recent! Now I believe it was March 2011.
We were up to the pool most recent in 2013 TRD. Wife didn't want to go any further. But then we did Marble Canyon with the road was worse then I've every seen from the recent floods.

This shows form Stripped Butte to Warm Springs. Doesn't seem too bad. I think our recent Cottonwood/Marble Canyon road was worse.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Just did Goler + Mengel –> Butte Valley –> Warm Springs Canyon Road –> West Side Road on April 3rd & 4th. No reason you couldn't drive a stock SUV from West Side Road to Geologist's Cabin if you took your time. No clearance or technical issues whatsoever, just go at a comfortable speed and pick good lines.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 pm

TacoLand wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:17 pm
Just did Goler + Mengel –> Butte Valley –> Warm Springs Canyon Road –> West Side Road on April 3rd & 4th. No reason you couldn't drive a stock SUV from West Side Road to Geologist's Cabin if you took your time. No clearance or technical issues whatsoever, just go at a comfortable speed and pick good lines.
Awesome, TacoLand! I'm fine with taking my time--faster than hiking it, anyway :) This being the case, I almost prefer starting in Butte Valley over Mahogany Flat.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:22 pm

wbdeford wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 pm
This being the case, I almost prefer starting in Butte Valley over Mahogany Flat.
Brian, what about driving up Johnson Canyon to Wilson Springs, parking, hiking up to Hungry Bill's and beyond clear up to the Panamint Pass which would give you access the entire ridgeline from Telescope to Manly? I've only been to a mile or so beyond Hungry Bills but have been to Panamint Pass via Surprise Canyon.
Life begins in Death Valley

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:41 am

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:22 pm
wbdeford wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 pm
This being the case, I almost prefer starting in Butte Valley over Mahogany Flat.
Brian, what about driving up Johnson Canyon to Wilson Springs, parking, hiking up to Hungry Bill's and beyond clear up to the Panamint Pass which would give you access the entire ridgeline from Telescope to Manly? I've only been to a mile or so beyond Hungry Bills but have been to Panamint Pass via Surprise Canyon.
That was on my list of possibilities, though if I can drive all the way to Butte Valley, I will go with that. The goal for this is to hike from Butte Valley to Harrisburg Flats, or as much of that as I can manage.

tmauceri
Jayhawker

Post by tmauceri » Tue May 07, 2019 11:45 am

It should be fine but there are a lot of rocks with knife edges along the road. I would bring several cans of fix-a-flat and make sure the jack and spare are OK. The bill you would get for tow service on a rental when on an unsaved road will ruin your year

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue May 07, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks....due to the rain expected both before and after I get there, I decided to move my starting point again....to Chris Wicht camp.