Lower King Midas & over north ridge into Keane Wonder

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Lower King Midas & over north ridge into Keane Wonder

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:32 am

Kudos to our very own Mojave Geek for reminding me that King Midas could be a great hike. I foolishly thought I might be able to find a bypass to the 22 foot dry fall laying hundreds of feet below the King Midas Mine Works.

I did manage to scramble above the dry fall on the south ridge but got stopped by scary technical ledges. It's ok because even if I'd have made it, there was another 100 footer stop around the bend out of my sight that I was not aware of until returning and studying the area more.

So I just turned around and discovered more artifacts that I missed on the way up. I also just happened to discover the trailhead to King MIdas as I scramble up the north ridge looking across to the south ridgeline. I will use this trail in the future to attempt a hike all the way to King Midas and see if there is a way to connect over to Upper Keane Wonder from King Midas. It looks very steep and treacherous but maybe there is a bighorn trail or a miner's trail there somewhere?

This was not a wasted endeavor as I thoroughly enjoyed the views from the north ridge (which is the south ridgeline of Keane Wonder. Coming face to face with the bighorn ewe and her lamb was the cherry on top. I made a separate video about this. For now, enjoy this video created from my turnaround hike.

Hike halfway up King Midas Canyon, turn around at a 20-foot dry fall and then scramble up the north ridge with a view of the valley below and into Keane Wonder Mine Works. March 2019 Music by longzijun.

Life begins in Death Valley

Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: Lower King Midas & over north ridge into Keane Wonder

Post by Kauri » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:11 am

I haven't had a chance to watch your video yet (looking forward to it!) but the zigzag trail bypassing the major dryfalls in King Midas Canyon is an old mule trail to the mine works. If I recall correctly, Digonnet has it marked on his map of the Keane Wonder Mine area. I started on this trail in January 2018 but had to turn around due to strong winds coming from the valley. Steve Hall has a report following the trail all the way to the mine, but from what I've heard the trail has been significantly washed out since then (can anyone confirm this?).
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: Lower King Midas & over north ridge into Keane Wonder

Post by Kauri » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm

Just watched your video---I especially enjoyed the zoomed-in images of the tramway stations far above, and the impressive views from the ridge between King Midas and Keane Wonder!

You may find Tramway Canyon (at the southern end of the Black Mountains) a worthwhile destination for a future trip. It reminded me very much of King Midas Canyon. Perhaps you might be able to find a bypass for the dry fall which stopped us and also prevented Steve Hall from continuing to the upper tramway station in that canyon. If I recall correctly, the group who initially hiked that canyon was able to (somehow) access the upper tramway station.
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php