Scotty's Castle road repairs in progress

Death Valley related discussion
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Scotty's Castle road repairs in progress

Post by Candace_66 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 pm

A couple days ago, I was in the vicinity of NV Highway 267. This is the road that connects US Highway 95 to Death Valley via Grapevine Canyon, passing by Scotty's Castle along the way. Or, it used to make that connection before it washed out in October 2015.

In the morning I observed several vehicles driving the highway toward DV. There used to be road closure signs on the highway right at the turn-off for Hard Luck Castle. But those signs are gone. So I decided to be nosey and cruised on down the road.

After several miles, I came across vehicles, equipment, and people. There's a headquarters in a modular building next to the highway. While out there, I also saw some 18-wheelers hauling big boulders toward the construction site. I finally came to a "road closed" sign 20+ miles from Highway 95, and turned around there.

Before leaving the area I did talk to one fellow who was working next to the highway. He confirmed they are busy rebuilding the road down through Grapevine Canyon. He asserted they were doing such a great job of it, that it wouldn't wash out again. Not sure if Mother Nature likes that kind of boast (think Titanic). :twisted: But we'll see how it goes. Meanwhile, here are a few pics of the activity above the road closure sign.

ImageP5160110 by Candace66, on Flickr

ImageP5160117 by Candace66, on Flickr

ImageP5160116 by Candace66, on Flickr

ImageP5160112 by Candace66, on Flickr

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Re: Scotty's Castle road repairs in progress

Post by kwalsh » Sat May 18, 2019 6:56 pm

Interesting, thanks for posting! I saw a lot of activity at the southwest end a few weeks ago when I was up around Ubehebe - but of course not clear if they were working on the road or the castle.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Re: Scotty's Castle road repairs in progress

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon May 20, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks for the news and images, Candace! I too share the same caution when challenging Mother Nature.

Those images show some major construction works being set up so I do hope that they take their time and do a great job in the new highway.
Life begins in Death Valley