NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/24 while some forum software modifications are made.

August 17-24: White-Whitney-10460 (and, oh yeah, Bald)

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: August 17-24: White-Whitney-10460 (and, oh yeah, Bald)

Post by wbdeford » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:45 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:34 pm
Of course you can cite it! I don't want people getting sick!

Yes, I see, you got one lower night in there, that's not bad.

As for how far to go down... once you are sick, I dunno about the magic of 8K. Part of my problem was that although I thought of myself as "down off the mountain", in fact sleeping (Silverthorne, CO) I was still at 9K feet. And the doc didn't say "Go down 1000 ft boy". He said "You're heading to Denver" which is at 5K and change. Of course, there's no place much lower than that in Colorado :)
So it's all a bit arbitrary.

You were probably feeling great, though, once you got home! One of the big parts of acclimation is increasing your red blood cell count, and once you've got them, they live 5-6 months! So I figured, this summer, I got acclimated in Montana (sleep at 5, climb to 10) and then was in pretty good shape for Colorado a few weeks later (first part of the trip was sleep at 5, climb to 13) There was a lot of truth to this, but still I did better on the high parts of my hikes after a few days of hiking up that high, so not a perfect solution.

BTW, after my HAPE I gave up on Colorado for years, and spent more time hiking in Washington, where 8K or so gets you on most of the peaks :)
Thanks!

Actually, starting when I got on the plane in Las Vegas and for the next couple of days, I was finally very, very tired. This was more due to lack of sleep, though. Since that time, I have found that I haven't felt the need for caffeinated drinks in the mornings. I wonder if periodic trips to high elevation can be used as plan for better cardiovascular health, or for sports training.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:36 am

Part of my training for these trips was to really amp up my biking - mostly speed. Makes me really work hard and pant which I figure is good prep for altitude where you tend to pant a lot no matter what you do :) I have a watch with a heart rate monitor and I'd get it up into the red a bunch. I think it makes a difference. Once I got back, I felt pretty laid back riding the same speeds!

Actually I'm not sure the relationship between heart rate and breathing, it may not be simple. I do wear the watch at night, and it is interesting seeing how much heart rate gets depressed at night. I used that as a semi-objective measure of how acclimated I was. So for example here I get down into the upper 40s at night but my first night in Boulder I got only to the lower 60s, which is my normal day time resting heart rate at sea level.

Altitude is tricky. It is a pain to have to take the time to acclimate, like when you have only a week to hike, but you're really better off once you do!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:07 pm

I used to do summer biking, but the last couple of years I have added an August trip, so have wanted my workouts to be more directly related to hiking. My spring trips are more grueling, because they are backpacking, while all of these were day hikes. Winter training is with the heavy backpack in the gym on inclinded treadmill and stairs.

Panting....I usually don't get to that point unless it's really steep--probably because I try to pace myself. I noticed I was breathing heavily trying to keep up with Alexis going up the Whitney trail. That results in it taking longer for me, of course.

Yeah, I didn't want to take separate time to acclimate, only having a short time. That's part of the reason for doing White as the acclimation plan. I did rest from about 4PM on that first day, and most of the afternoon the day before Whitney, and after about 2PM the day before 10460. But that wasn't for acclimation, per se.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:30 pm

As a photograph, this shot is nothing special....but it is now one of my prized shots. This is looking over top of DVNP from Mt Whitney over to Mt Charleston, 146 miles away. It looks over the Inyos, the Panamints (around the area of Harrisburg Flats), and a couple other ranges. The last one before the Spring mountains might be Hunter Mountain(?)

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Hunter Mountain is partially hidden by the Inyos, but I think that is the top of the mountain near left behind the Inyos. Past the Panamints would be the Funerals. Looking at Google Maps, I think the range immediately in front of the Spring Mountains (Charleston) is the northern end of the Nopah Range, maybe Shadow Mountain.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:44 pm

D.A. Wright wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:56 pm
Hunter Mountain is partially hidden by the Inyos, but I think that is the top of the mountain near left behind the Inyos. Past the Panamints would be the Funerals. Looking at Google Maps, I think the range immediately in front of the Spring Mountains (Charleston) is the northern end of the Nopah Range, maybe Shadow Mountain.
Someone pointed me to peakfinder.org. The mountain almost directly below Charleston in this shot is Pyramid Peak in the Funerals. The next range closer includes Tucki Mountain, so is the Panamints, which would seem to mean the one behind the Inyos is the north end of the Argus Range (though I am not sure if that is still considered Argus at that point) where it meets Hunter Mountain. So, I think you are right about Hunter. Panamint Butte is also visible. I can just barely make out where it is. Will make a labeled version of this.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Labeled version. Please correct, or let me know of anything else that could be identified.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:13 am

wbdeford wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:11 pm
Labeled version. Please correct, or let me know of anything else that could be identified.

Very nice! I didn't realize Tucki was visible from Mt. Whitney. Someday when I'm able to got to the top of Tucki I'll plan to take a photo looking towards Mt. Whitney.
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:21 pm

I learned one other interesting thing today....San Gorgonio can be seen both from Whitney (190 miles) and from Telescope (143 miles). Since I wasn't looking for it, I didn't get anything like what I got of Charleston, but was still able to identify it in shots I took from Whitney and Telescope. There is also a 257 mile line of sight from White Mountain Peak to San Gorgonio, but I don't know if the air is ever clear enough for that. Supposedly, the world record for line of sight shot distance is 237 miles.

Something to strive for next time...

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:58 am

wbdeford wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:21 pm
San Gorgonio can be seen both from Whitney (190 miles) and from Telescope (143 miles).
Brian, thanks so much for this tip. I wish I knew this before I summited Whitney and Telescope five years ago for the first time. On top of Whitney I never dreamed San Gorgonio could be visible because the air was smokey from wildfires. However, my first time on Telescope was in December and the air was fairly clear and I deduced on my own that what I saw off on the southern horizon was the San Bernardino Mountains but I did not know Gorgonia was the shining jewel. My last summit of Telescope on Labor Day Weekend this year was too smokey and cloudy for a good sighting.

BTW - I grew up at the base of the San Bernardino Mountains and scaled San Gorgonio at the age of ten with my father and three other brothers. It was cold, windy and cloudy but fun. I last summited Gorgonio for old times sake in November about ten years ago and I had it all to myself.

Here's a link with the images and then the layers defined of the various views from Whitney:
http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/gall ... itney.html
Life begins in Death Valley

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:54 pm

No problem! I found one from Telescope that turned out much better than I thought. From Telescope, just look directly over Sentinel and slightly to the right. I had zoomed in for 10460, Porter, and Sentinel and was blessed with San Gorgonio by accident. I had to darken this shot a lot, but very pleased with the distant stuff, all things considered.

This is the unaltered version of that shot: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/487 ... aef9_o.jpg

Here is San Gorgonio from Whitney:

Unaltered version: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/487 ... 1c2c_o.jpg

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:48 am

Brian, thanks again for taking the time to post these really cool images. Now I've really got my bearings!
Life begins in Death Valley