No Name Nub 2nd Fun Filled Fail

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

No Name Nub 2nd Fun Filled Fail

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:56 am

My second failed attempt to scale "No Name Nub" just northwest of The Hole In The Wall in Death Valley National Park now goes down in video history. I was stopped due to impassable cliffs on the north face but the afternoon light and panoramas made it all worthwhile. To save time on the return I followed a bighorn sheep trail (actually visible in the video) which cut across the spine ridge north of Hole In The Wall. Oops, no time saver as the sheep are better scramblers than I ever hope to be. :shocked:

I can't be outdone by our very own Kauri who has scaled this "Nub With No Name" so I'll try an approach from the south face next time. (Kauri, if you happen to see this post, I scoured your website for images of this damn nub but found nothing?) Third time's the charm! The spotlight sunset over Zabriskie from the Panamints was stunning. Labor Day Weekend 2019.

Life begins in Death Valley

Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: No Name Nub 2nd Fun Filled Fail

Post by Kauri » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:01 am

We went up the chute seen in the center of your photo from Borax Benchmark, so on the southwest side of the bump. I'm sorry I don't have a trip report on that hike; it was many years ago, and I recall I didn't take many photos since I was more focused on climbing. It's mostly a steep boulder-filled wash, but I recall there's one small dryfall near the cliff band. I'll look through my photos later this week.
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Re: No Name Nub 2nd Fun Filled Fail

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:03 pm

Kauri wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:01 am
We went up the chute seen in the center of your photo from Borax Benchmark.
Kauri, thanks for the reply and tip. Just by default, I was assuming the route you described was my last and only option because of the east and north faces being too treacherous for my scrambling skills. I'm really excited to summit No Name Nub for the views of Hole In The Wall, Borax Benchmark, The Funerals, The Panamints, Etc.

I'd love to see any photos that you might have of your adventure up No Name Nub.
Life begins in Death Valley